4.10 Security VLC media player won't fully close

Briefly describe your issue below:
VLC media player is consistently opening up fine, but once I close the window the icon in the top right of the screen won’t let me fully quit when I right click, and VLC also stops working when it’s in this state, if I unhide the player it won’t play the files in the playlist or new ones

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64) 4.10 Security

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental) standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no) no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

The tray icon is an option in VLC. In the VLC Preferences menu under Tools heading or ctrl+P. At the bottom where it says show settings change that to all, then search the word tray in the search bar or look under Interfaces > Main Interfaces >> QT

1 Like

Hmm, well the problem still persists after unselecting the tray icon option. If I open VLC directly (instead of double clicking on a media file to open it up) then I can add files to the list, play them, close the player, and repeat that process fine.

If I double click on a media file to open it, it will open the file and play it (for the first time after a reboot), but then when I close the player, it won’t open by double clicking media files or choosing VLC directly from the applications menu.

I also noticed that if the computer goes idle with VLC media player open, when I resume the desktop, I can close media player and it will re-open fine (just like after a reboot), but then same problem afterwards. shrug

edit: the tray icon no longer shows but VLC still won’t re-open after the first use (by engaging with double clicking media files)

It sounds like the process has simply failed to actually end or becomes a zombie, in which case you have to manually kill the process or it’s still running parent for it to exit. There is a setting that determines whether multiple instances can be launched, default is only one instance when invoked from the file manager but I’m not sure. It may be a setting I do not know as I can not reproduce this issue.

If you ever want to reset the application back to its default settings you can simply delete the configuration file in your home folder “~/.config/VLC/”, the application will generate a new one

This bug affects me too.
I appears that vlc gets stuck while trying to open/close, causing it to become unresponsive (without GUI).
I tested different media players and only vlc appears affected - parole and mpv work fine.

Of note is that you can kill vlc via terminal or system monitor, in which case it works again.
Also of note is that it happens only occasionally, not every time.