4,5 One more Time

Briefly describe your issue below:

Installed latest 4.5.1 ISO, rebooted. Changed DNS with (sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf). Then (sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf.head /etc/resolv.conf).

Then I ran Dist-upgrade, command found here:

Terminal Output:

Terminal Output errors only:

Then I ran the following I think I found on a post by Amzker, but I cannot find the thread:

apt autoremove

dpkg --configure -a

apt --fix-broken install

apt autoremove

parrot-upgrade (0,0,0)

apt show apt output:

Libre Office won’t open, or save to .TXT, or .RTF, but .ODT works fairly well.

Pluma only works via sudo in terminal.

No AVAHI-DAEMON, CUPS-BROWSED. Or Printer.

But Tor works this time.

Anonsurf doesn’t work.Wireshark shows a lot of internet communication, but browsers cannot connect to anything. Here is the Terminal Output:

This computer is a Dell e6630, 2.90 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3520M, 8Gb ram, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, originally designed for Windows 7 Professional . Perhaps my hardware is getting older. (2012) If there are any new Ideas, great. If not, I can work with 4.4. Thanks.

What version of Parrot are you running? (4.5.1.Desktop (Mate) AMD 64)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Have you tried running this programms without firejail by passing firejail --noprofile <programm>?
Please check that out.

1 Like

Overmyhead:
Changed DNS with (sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf). Then (sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf.head /etc/resolv.conf).

s1udge
In the future you should probably not change your DNS this way. You can open them with nano and get the same thing (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) done but more importantly It might be messing with other services (how? I’m not sure yet, still researching)

Overmyhead
I got the DNS changing commands from here:

s1udge
Are you using home or security?

Overmyhead
Home edition

s1udge
What does systemd journal have?
sudo journalctl | grep “Feb 23” > FILENAME

overmyhead

s1udge
Filename can be whatever, it just makes it easier to go thru in less or nano/pluma.
Overmyhead:
Then I ran the following I think I found on a post by Amzker, but I cannot find the thread:
Be careful what commands you follow by whom, they might be right but if not it could exacerbate the problem.

Overmyhead:
Terminal Output errors only:

s1udge
None of this is a problem, most of the fatal errors are because those services/bins run at the start of your system and then turn off as they finish what was was required. Having them start while your on your system would give your system a bit of a heart attack. the others are just saying they won’t remove directories because they aren’t empty and some of your files are already installed.
Firejail
NOTE: All firejail profiles are in /etc/firejail/
What is your firejail profile have for pluma?

Overmyhead

s1udge
From terminal what does it output when you run pluma

overmyhead
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $pluma
Reading profile /etc/firejail/pluma.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Switching to pid 4540, the first child process inside the sandbox
Child process initialized in 10.50 ms
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $
But Pluma does not start without sudo:
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo pluma
[sudo] password for qark446:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pluma/plugins/snippets/Document.py”, line 702, in on_view_destroy
self.stop()
File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pluma/plugins/snippets/Document.py”, line 70, in stop
self.set_view(None)
File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pluma/plugins/snippets/Document.py”, line 149, in set_view
self._set_view(view)
File “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pluma/plugins/snippets/Document.py”, line 113, in _set_view
completion.remove_provider(self.provider)
gi.repository.GLib.Error: gtk-source-completion-error-quark: Provider is not bound to this completion object (1)
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $
Pluma worked fine sudo, not sure what above log is telling me.

s1udge
check via main menu what the command to run pluma is should be:
pluma %U

Overmyhead
That is correct

Overmyhead:
Libre Office won’t open, or save to .TXT, or .RTF, but .ODT works fairly well.

s1udge
What does the firejail profile have for libreoffice?

Overmyhead:

Overmyhead:
No AVAHI-DAEMON, CUPS-BROWSED. Or Printer.

s1udge
This is almost all related to printers.
What does
systemctl status avahi-daemon.service

Overmyhead
â—Ź avahi-daemon.service - Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
lines 1-3/3 (END) (Terminal left with running process)

s1udge
systemctl status cups-browsed.service

overmyhead
â—Ź cups-browsed.service - Make remote CUPS printers available locally
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups-browsed.service; disabled; vendor pr
Active: inactive (dead)
lines 1-3/3 (END) (Terminal left with running process)

Overmyhead:
But Tor works this time.
Anonsurf doesn’t work.Wireshark shows a lot of internet communication, but browsers cannot connect to anything. Here is the Terminal Output:

a1udge
Did you start anonsurf on top of tor?
Unless I misread, your output seems to show anonsurf working normally. What does anonsurf status give you?

Overmyhead

Notice the growing text in 5552 and 5555. Seems to be trying to create the system. I have let this process run for over an hour. It eventually just stops and leaves the terminal in a running state. No browser connection. (Firefox, Chromium) Tor service never starts except under torbrowser. I have never attempted to run Anonsurf and Torbrowser at the same time.

To be honest, I’m not really concerned about Anonsurf. I have only gotten it to work a couple of times anyway. I have TorBrowser. I am concerned about my internet connection being safe, Without local activity, I get very little communication through wireshark. Pluma, rught now I am using geany for that, as well as to read my txt and rtf, but a fully functioning LibraOffice is kind of a must.

┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $firejail --noprofile pluma
Parent pid 8902, child pid 8903
Child process initialized in 29.93 ms
Warning: an existing sandbox was detected. /usr/bin/pluma will run without any additional sandboxing features

Parent is shutting down, bye…
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $pluma
Reading profile /etc/firejail/pluma.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Switching to pid 6153, the first child process inside the sandbox
Child process initialized in 10.95 ms
┌─[qark446@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $

If I did this right, and am reading it right, the terminal says I don’t need the firejail --noprofile to run pluma, Yet when its run regular, the terminal says its working fine, but it never opens, unless run sudo. Same when I click the icon.

s1udge
Thanks, did you recreate the symbolic link?

Overmyhead
Yes, as I posted in the first link:
sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf (to remove symolic link), then:
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf.head /etc/resolv.conf (to recreate it with resolve.conf.head)

s1udge
That was why pluma wouldn’t start there was no command in firejail for it to start.
please don’t use sudo for pluma

overmyhead.
I never had to use sudo to run many programs, only tried it to see if it would work. Seems to be some permission problems as well as some firejail problems

s1ludge
You’re missing 70% of your firejail, either you’ve played around a lot with your system . . . or you didn’t see the rest. Next time if you aren’t sure just do

overmyhead
Actually, I “play around” with my system quite often. Thats the easiest way to learn. Hard to learn from someone whose first inclination is to believe that you just did something to screw it up. Again. Freshly installed iso, changed to parrot dns, then sudo dist-upgrade. And again, firejail problems?

s1udge
Uhhh other than having the service re-pasted a bunch there is nothing wrong with anonsurf. . . at least according to the sevice check by systemctl Also your logs are cut off on the side. On pastebin there nothing extra about PID’s 5552 or 5555

overmyhead
From the Pastbin log:
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debia
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debia
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-t
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-to
Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-tor

snip: the final one following

Process: 5552 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -Z -m 02755 -o debian-tor -g debian-tor -d /var/run/to

5552 and 5555 are not the only lines that grow throughout the log. Others do as well. Sorry if you can’t see it, but its there non the less.

I will try your resolv.conf change next time
cat /etc/resolv.conf.head > /etc/resolv.conf

the libreoffice firejail profile is all there. I get into trouble with the sudo nano terminal every time.

Firejail profile for libreoffice
https://pastebin.com/FgfarUsW

Firejail profile for pluma
https://pastebin.com/R4j9hjcn

You should give a try tunning commands exactly from /usr/bin directory. Try /usr/bin/pluma and /usr/bin/libreoffice. When you run commands like that firejail doesn’t start.

Oddly enough, LibreOffice started working. Pluma and AnonSurf, still down.

Screenshot%20at%202019-02-24%2012-18-51

The terminal seems to think that command did something, but Pluma never opened. I’ll bet if I ran it sudo it would though.
I also noticed that when I try to shut down at night, that I get a warning that a certain number of programs are still running. I assume these are times when I accidently clicked on a txt file, and Pluma tried to open it, but I had to open it with something else.