After update, VB GuestAdditions stopped working

I can no longer get VirtualBox’s GuestAdditions to work after the latest update. I tried reverting to the previous kernel version, no luck.

Briefly describe your issue below:
When booting ParrotOS the default; “would you like to install updates” dialogue came up and I tapped yes. The updates ran and after a reboot I noticed VirtualBox’s GuestAdditions stopped working (because the screen did not resize anymore).

I reinstalled the guest additions using the command:

sudo apt install -y virtualbox-guest-dkms --reinstall

There was an error installing, something along the lines of: “Error: Bad return status for module build on kernel 5.4”.

I booted in the previous kernel version, which I am using now “5.3.0-3parrot3-amd64”. I removed the new kernel using apt-get purge linux-image.5.4.0-1parrot1-amd64 and apt-get purge linux-headers-5.4.0-1parrot1-amd64. Upon rebooting, the 5.4 image was no longer visible.

I rebooted, I reinstalled guest additions again. Up to no luck. I tried installing guest additions via de /cdrom/, but the /media/cdrom0 folder is rempty (GuestAdditions.iso is inserted).

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Linux parrot 5.3.9-3parrot3

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Parrot Security.

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
Not that I know, installation of the guest additions via the recommended command works.

I ended up installing VirtualBox 6.1 and reinstalling the -guest-utils, -x11, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.