Again, Parrot won't boot after updates

And this time I cannot get into it even with Super Grub Disk. I can start the computer with a Mint Live USB, and I’d like to find my OpenVAS reports so I can see if there are any more I want to export before something goes even more wrong. But I can’t find where OpenVAS stores reports that haven’t been downloaded yet. They probably don’t exist in readable format until they are downloaded.

So how can I get into Parrot, after the latest updates cacked it?

thanks

What version of Parrot are you running? 4.20

What method did you use to install Parrot? can’t remember, it was booting before last update

Configured to multiboot with other systems? No

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
Depending on what I choose from Super Grub Disk, I’ll get either “Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.” or a 90-second slow boot that fails.

Whats your update command used? Have you read any of the docs pertaining to the inatall i stead of following ththe hella wrong and hella outdated youtube idiots?

I have added more info to first post. Update method was the hitting Yes on the popup prompts in Parrot GUI. That’s all.

Can you post the link to the guide you used to install? Try cli update command

parrot-upgrade

Youshould be booting from the grub that parrot installs and if it fails then you didnt change your bios settings but if you need to do all of what you write to boot then yiu really did something really wrong

Parrot was already installed. Every 2 weeks or so the GUI pops up a Yes/No dialog asking if you want to install updates. I trusted it and hit Yes. It installed all the updates and now it won’t boot. If you don’t know what that update prompt is, please find out. It doesn’t seem like you’re the one to help on this case.

1 Like

And what exactly is the issue?
Do you have problems with grub or initram (or later)?
Any error message from normal booting?
Its hard to say where the error was made just from “OH it stoped working”.

The computer brings up the boot device selection screen, because it can’t boot from the hdd anymore. Super Grub Disk lists Parrot versions 18, 19, and 20, in single and multi-user. None of them boot. And to quote from my initial post, which you should read, “Depending on what I choose from Super Grub Disk, I’ll get either “Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.” or a 90-second slow boot that fails.”

More adult behavior here would definitely help Parrot get taken more seriously. Anyway, I’ve moved on to Back Box.

Can you get us fdisk -l and smartctl --test=long /dev/sd? smartctl -x /dev/sd? smartctl -a /dev/sd? output?
SInce it seems like you had broken your grub. It could be interupted upgrade, dying disk etc.
The quick steps are following.
Boot live image.
Chroot to parrot.
Reinstall grub.
Update grub/initram.
But I can’t provide you step by step instructions.

Thanks for the assistance. I had tried booting with a live usb and repairing grub with a utility, but it did not fix it. This is not the first time Parrot has released a build with GRUB problems: https://twitter.com/ParrotSec/status/1038236292096708608

I have since wiped the drive with Parted Magic, and installed a different distro.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.