AnonSurf Already Installed but Missing

1. My Parrot information
  • OS version: cat /etc/*release
    DISTRIB_ID=Parrot DISTRIB_RELEASE=4.10 DISTRIB_CODENAME=rolling DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Parrot 4.10" PRETTY_NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux 4.10" NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux" ID=parrot ID_LIKE=debian VERSION="4.10" VERSION_ID="4.10" HOME_URL="https://www.parrotsec.org/" SUPPORT_URL="https://community.parrotsec.org/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://community.parrotsec.org/"
  • Kernel version: uname -a
    Linux parrot 5.9.0-2parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.9.6-2parrot1 (2020-11-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

MY ISSUE :

I manually updated my past-installed TeamViewer v14 to the latest version v15 by downloading .deb from its official website. I believe, since then, when I first tried to use AnonSurf after this TV update, it was missing from the Applications Menu and ā€˜Search/Runā€™ as well. Tor Browserā€™s icon was at its place as usual but didnā€™t work. However, I made that work by clicking ā€œTor Browser Launcher Settingsā€ from Applications>Internet and re-installed it successfully.

Iā€™m sure I didnā€™t play with any other things except updating the TeamViewer manually for remote viewing of a mobile device of a family member which was unsuccessful. Please note that I run these commands on a daily basis in following order (Also note that Iā€™m a newbie):

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo parrot-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt autoclean
ā€¦(mistakes, suggestions, order - all are welcome!)

I tried searching Google, but most of the answers contain issues of Internet connectivity with AnonSurf while mine is different - the whole AnonSurf menu is missing. Yes, I tried re-installing AnonSurf by < sudo apt install anonsurf > which gave < anonsurf is already the newest version (3.1.5+parrot0) >

I tried < sudo apt-get reinstall -y anonsurf >
which gave following result:
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/111 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ā€¦ 710373 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/anonsurf_3.1.5+parrot0_amd64.deb ā€¦
Unpacking anonsurf (3.1.5+parrot0) over (3.1.5+parrot0) ā€¦
Setting up anonsurf (3.1.5+parrot0) ā€¦
anonsurfd.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.3-2) ā€¦
Scanning application launchers
Removing duplicate launchers from Debian
Launchers are updated

Still missingā€¦

My internet connection otherwise is fine with WiFi & USB tethering from mobile device. Hey, I would like to let you know that a few months back, I had internet connectivity problem. That means, no webpage was opening but simply kept loading until timed-out. I think it was a dns problem.

/etc/resolv.conf showed < nameserver 127.0.0.1 > (donā€™t know how)
I changed it toā€¦
/etc/resolv.conf < nameserver 8.8.8.8 >

Another event which might have a relation to my AnonSurf problem is -
I once hibernated my laptop when out of battery and when switching it on after plugging into wall socket, suddenlly, there was a power-cut and my laptop turned off while it was loading my pre-hibernated files and applications.

1. Does this have caused some issue with AnonSurf or Tor files ?
  2. Did those program files affected when manually installing TeamViewer that might not have supported my current Parrot OS version ?

AnonSurf is already installed but unable to run via command line too :
ā”Œā”€[mdh@parrot]ā”€[~]
ā””ā”€ā”€ā•¼ $anonsurf start
bash: anonsurf: command not found

I see 11 files in /etc/anonsurf.

I ran < menuexecg ā€œsudo anonsurf startā€ >
It asked for password, showed notification, and then NOTHING happened.

I tried restarting < sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service > ā€¦it just restartedā€¦

I tried < sudo service network-manager restart >
Failed to restart network-manager.service: Unit network-manager.service not found.

I tried < sudo systemctl restart network >
Failed to restart network.service: Unit network.service not found.

I tried < sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart >
Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.service.

Please help.

can you once do
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt install -f
sudo apt autoremove
sudo parrot-upgrade
and check if then anonsurf works or not

In From version 3.1.5, you have to install anonsurf-cli. A mistake in meta package (which wasnā€™t updated) keeps the name anonsurf and it will be fixed soon. Because

1. Package is more ā€œmodularā€
  2. Any users who donā€™t like current AnonSurf CLI / GUI can create their own based on package AnonSurf
1 Like

Hey, thank you for helping me. Iā€™m extremely sorry to say that didnā€™t work. Nothing happened. But installing < anonsurf-cli > did solve my problem, as what ā€œdmknght - Nong Hoang Tuā€ suggested. Thank you.

Excellent! You understood the problem. I installed < anonsurf-cli > and it worked. Now, the AnonSurf menu does appear and works fine. Great. Thank you very much for your support.

Well AnonSurf is under my development :stuck_out_tongue:

Great! Keep it up.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.