anonsurf does not kill "dangerous" programs or clear caches

Briefly describe your issue below:
Installed 4.9.1 KDE/Security from ISO into VMware and updated anonsurf to 2.13.9+parrot2 and all worked well. Upgraded all packages, rebooted, and “sudo start anonsurf” - anonsurf startup hangs for 30 seconds or so on trying to kill “dangerous” programs and clear caches. This process does not close the active browser so I’m guessing it does not clear caches either :frowning:
Looks as though anonsurf is working (good status and remote ip) but with dirty browser caches.
What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
4.10 after upgrade from 4.9.1 ISO
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Release KDE/security ISO
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no, VMware image
List your networking hardware (make, model, firmware version):
bridged to MacOS, DNS to router
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

I should also note that I made no changes to the environment between 4.9.1 and upgrade to latest. I chased this issue a bit further and it appears there is at least one OS level issue specifically with the execution of killall command not getting executed properly. The anonsurf script calls killall to clean up browser activity, e.g., kill firefox, chrome, etc. The killall invocation is not in fact finding these processes even though they are running. See commands below where killall cannot recognize firefox as running without giving the entire path/name (as if -e was used on killall):

It appears the linux kernel has a bug (in run in terminal) or the package related to killall

Fixed. Wait for update

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.