Anunsurf has really suspicious behavior recently

– Please Write here your help request, –
Why anunsurf tool opens suspicious telemetry with this weird server poneytelecom.eu ??!!!
& sometimes the sever changes it’s name it’s really malicious what’s wrong with this tool !!!

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

VERSION=“4.11”
VERSION_ID=“4.11”

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

I don’t see any line tells AnonSurf is connecting to any server
And I haven’t heard anything like Server auto changes it name it is malicious for my whole life
AnonSurf is fully open source and you can check every single line in the source code. If you don’t believe the current version, you can build from source

2 Likes

Hmm I think the reason is the anatomy of the tor network. Not anonsurf btw. Did you check if that domain is a tor node, a bridge or anything?

If none of them check your traffic with lsof -i4 command to see what processes are doing IPv4 connections.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.
but no I don’t use any bridge when using tor & I checked my traffic with sudo netstat -np &
lsof -i4 command there is nothing weird these strange ip appears only when I initiate anonsurf
& it disappears when I stop this tool.

I would build from source and see if it still happens. If so, you can go hunting for the IP in the code or pull a memory dump to see what code is interacting with the IP. lsof will show you the list of programs that are running for the process, so you could also go look at that code too.

Feel free to audit it

1 Like

@dmknght

Perhaps creating reproducible builds would greatly alleviate user’s fears?

I’m rewriting the code structure for easier code reading and auditing (check branch 3.20) and trying to make the installation be easier. For now the master branch can be compiled by everyone. Well it is just a little tricky work to make it done because we didn’t write the compile guide but you can find the tutorial on other topics on this forum.

1 Like

Have you ever checksum your iso, before the installation?