Apt dist-upgrade

Just installed latest Parrot 3.11 from USB key - first thing I do is:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

It then updates 1,338 packages.

Question: When the update process suggests to overwrite the AppArmor Files (Tor Firefox, etc) - I presume I am to keep my “locally modified” (I assume Parrot team modified) versions in/etc/apparmor.d/... ?

1 Like

Always keep

Nice thanks lawyer…

How can I automate the installation so that it does not prompt for:
a - /etc/apparmor.d/… - select the default option (keep user setting)
b - apt packates - prompts for wireshark, and libc installation package options (allows regular user to capture packates, etc…)

Are there parameters that I can supply to apt dis-upgrade to do the right thing??

So I can just automate it and go off and leave it to complete installation (yes - it takes over an hour to apply all 1,330 packages!)

Never tried this, but apt-get --assume-no should work

Wups…
And if i didnt ‘keep’ those but overroad them with the update, is there any way of fixing it?

yeah - it’s called “Restage!”

I always run “sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade” as Palinuro suggested for rolling-distros…And never had a question during update process to overwrite apps. Is it normal? I only had questions about Tor app -If I want to : a.) keep as it is or b.) to update to maintainers version…So I always choose b. (or 2.)
How to check if I’m doing right?

if the mentioned software u never used or the config profile had never modify, then overwrite it to install last version. if it was modified, then keep or modify it again after upgrade.

1 Like

lawyer - Sorry for asking, but what does “apt-get -n” do? What does “-n” stand for?

Thanks in advance.

Thats my fault, i correct it.

Man page of apt-get:

-y, --yes, --assume-yes
       Automatic yes to prompts; assume "yes" as answer to all prompts and
       run non-interactively. If an undesirable situation, such as
       changing a held package, trying to install a unauthenticated
       package or removing an essential package occurs then apt-get will
       abort. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Assume-Yes.

--assume-no
       Automatic "no" to all prompts. Configuration Item:
       APT::Get::Assume-No.
2 Likes

lawyer - Thanks for explaining.

So one would type the following:

APT::Get::Assume-Yes.

or

APT::Get::Assume-No.

use apt instead of apt-get, its an enhanced version with some --flags enabled by default
and use aptitude for debugging/testing

1 Like

you should let apt overwrite updated confogurations unless YOU modified them, because we are the owners of the apt archive and we are the guys proposing our changes or accepting the debian ones

everything “new” that you receive is delivered by us

1 Like