apt upgrade fills RAM during download phase

Briefly describe your issue below:
This is more of a question than it is a problem:
So, two months ago, i installed the lastest version of parrot available. But during apt ugrade

(sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade)

it filled all the RAM and froze, so I had to uninstall it.

I reinstalled today and it hapened again:
It incrementally used all the RAM available. I ctrl+c before it reached 100% and it came down to the base 20% used. I re ran the command and it incrementally used it again to download the rest of packets.
When actually unpacking and installing, it stayed at a 27% of RAM usage.

I now know I can stop the download and rerun the command for large enough downloads but:
Is it normal?
IS there a workaround or fix other than “add more RAM”?
Using swap is not an option beacause both disks I have are SSD

I have 8GB of RAM and no swap due to the reason mentioned above. I’m planning on adding another 8GB ram module to the laptop but for now I have to stick with what I have

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
4.7 security x 64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes. Grub with ubuntu and windows 10

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
apt dist upgrade fills ram

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
n/a

Yes seen this a couple of times on friends laptops with only 8 gig or ram. Afer new install and then Parrot upgrades packages seen 800 plus updates then stalls around the 80% of updating. I dont know if the images are updated after a new release, but maybe this would help. But the guys who build and maintain Parrot OS do a great job, and I guess very busy looking after it, and dont have time to do these image updates. :slight_smile:

Then try to update without logging in into the Desktop Environment and use tty instead of it.

What are you using to check the memory usage? Are we talking about memory active and in use and not memory cached?

That doesn’t matter, swapping to a hard disk wouldn’t be anymore desirable.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.