Backup and Reinstall

Don’t get upset, but I still think of it as Salisbury …
Right down to business, you will need a bootable pen-drive for that machine, can be your Parrot one or any Debian one will do best, [do you have accesses to make one [friend or family that can do it for you or lend you the use of a computer] ]
1] take said bootable medium and insert it in the dell, switch on whilst tickling F12 to open the dell short boot menu,
2] scroll down the short boot menu and highlight the USB and press enter
3] if given the option to install or try, select try [some distributions will load direct to ram instead of giving you the option]
4] when the desktop appears you should have an icon for computer, click on this and see if you can find your old home folder
5]open home folder, along the top click on edit and scroll down to select items matching, put in the suffix for one type of file say .Jepg and click on enter/search button, if it works, and it finds all your files of that type you can save them somewhere [I suggest you borrow or buy a couple of large capacity pen-drives,Its the safest way] then move on to the next suffix group
if this works great, we can then decide to either fix the grub [connect to internet and search Reinstalling grub on an unbootable Debian system] and follow the directions carefully. or install another system
to install windows 10 you will need a pen-drive with w10 burnt as a bootable drive, then follow steps 1&2 again, but this time select install [windows will normally install immediately wiping out everything else on the hard drive], the follow the same routeen to install Parrot. at this point, the safest way is not to partition the hard-drive yourself but let the Linux installer do it for you by selecting install along side [ this is assuming you have safely saved you files to an external usb drive]

Luckily i had a “windows7-home-premium.iso” file and “rufus.exe” in my smartphone’s internal storage. I have a friend thats willing to lend me his laptop. So my plan is to transfer these 2 files to the guy’s laptop and burn the ISO to my 8Gb USB drive. I will then perform a clean install of this Windows OS. If i succeed, i will proceed with installing Parrot OS alongside Windows (/dev/sda3).

I’m slowly realizing that the files and data i accidentally deleted didn’t really mean much to me and i can download them again.
And yeah some people still call it Salisbury, i don’t mind.

1 Like

Update: I successfully installed Windows 10 pro. It was a clean install and soon after that i updated my BIOS from “A09” to “A11”. Now i’m preparing to install Parrot Home alongside Windows. Once i achieve this, I won’t require any more help regarding this topic. Thank you @Brickwizard for patiently assisting me. I couldn’t have done it without your help.

Your welcome

1 Like

I hearby declare this topic closed.