Basic Commands (for Troubleshooting)

Basic Commands (for Troubleshooting)

ls (list directory contents)
cat (concatenate files and print on the standard output)
id (print real and effective user and group IDs)
uname -a (print system information)
lsb_release -a (print distribution-specific information)
ifconfig (configure a network interface)
route -n (show/manipulate the IP routing table)
cat /etc/resolv.conf (displays the DNS information)
cat /etc/network/interfaces (displays the network interface configuration)
cat /etc/hosts (static values for hostname lookups)
lspci (list all PCI devices)
lsusb (list USB devices)
dmesg (print or control the kernel ring buffer)
lsmod (show the status of modules in the Linux kernel)
ls -lisart /var/log (the location of the actual logfiles)

19 Likes

cp
mv
rm
nano
sudo -i
what about them^ ?

2 Likes

amigo, tal ves puedas yudarme, pero instale parrot de nuevo, depsues de estar en windows, pero esta ves en parrot no se escucha nada, videos, musica, nada de nada.
la ultima vez que lo instale no tenia este problema.
el sonido aparece ya activado, pero no se escucha nada con todo el volumen.
puedes ayudarme ?

I just wanted to throw in that less is more readable (it scrolls by default).
That piping into grep can do alot for being specific in what you are looking for.
To find where is which nameofprogram is useful.
Also find is a very useful tool to find the location of configuration files in root folders.

1 Like

and pwd (lists current working directory

1 Like

What would be a good place to learn and start using Debian OS full time? I am a beginner getting around to do basic stuff on the system but would like to get into more detail and make this my primary OS. I really love how quick the OS is!

2 Likes

Really just using it and looking up anything you find you need to do but don’t know how.

apropos - general information (i.e., “apropos wireless” will return various commands, libraries, and configuration files related to wireless functionality)
man - the manual for anything apropos returns.
df - disk free displays disk usage (in human readable format if you feed it an -h)

1 Like

What about application specific troubleshooting?
Such as journalctl and visudo -c

I’ve been learning linux by small posts like this . I’ve got a little laminated sheet from Amazon with all the basics but theres alaysxsomdthing new to sit at a post for hours is personality unappealing and I’m not gonna remember 300 commands at once. And theres only one that changed the game. Sudo !! Because if I had to retype every word in a command I forgot to put sudo before sucked. And yea grep needs it’s own thread I’m my humble opinion.