Bizarre networking issues. help needed

Parrot Home MATE ISO
Debian standard install
multiboot/ NO
hp 14-ac159nr
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04852768#AbT0

I’m noticing very strange networking issues,that i’m certain haven’t been that way the entire time on ParrotOS…

The first issues is…
i can only connect to my router when the computers vpn client is enabled,if i disable it, or disconnect the vpn,the computer can see the router,but it reads as if no data is being transmitted,which obviously isn’t the case if the machine can connect via wireless connection through the vpn…?

The second issue…
the computer is no longer connecting to the internet via Ethernet cable …
i’ve done it a few time while on this os in the past month an a half,and it lit up and connected just fine.
now,when the Ethernet cord is connected,nothing happens.
the port no longer lights up,the system doesn’t appear to acknowledge that its been connected,and of course,it appears that there is no data being transferred…

I’ve connected another device running win10 to the same Ethernet cable,to test it,and it connects just fine fine.
whats even more strange,that win 10 device can’t connect to wireless at all,but can connect to the ethernet cable…
basically,it’s having the opposite issue…
is it possible that connecting the harddrive via sata to the linux device misconfigured both devices?
that all i can think of at the moment…

So,at the moment,i can only connect to the internet via wifi,with vpn enabled.
every other method is non functional at the moment …
any help is greatly appreciated,thanks in advance…

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

List your networking hardware (make, model, firmware version):

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

@RightToPrivacy
If,and when,you have the time,you seem like someone who could potentially assist with this…
your feed back would be greatly appreciated…

Connecting a hard drive wouldn’t change any settings.

Do you have any connection/network based logs to help tell us what is going on underneath?
(ex: what do logs in /var/log say when you plug in your ethernet cord?)

When you say “no data is being transmitted”, what kind of data/network errors are you receiving?

You can see the gateway ip…

Is DNS working: Can you resolve domains? Can you ping hostnames/ip addresses?

1 Like

Thanks for responding…

i was able to ping the nameserver without any errors,from what i can tell.
it appears i was able to resolve the Ethernet port issue,via ifconfig.
by running (sudo ifconfig eth0 up),i was able to activate it,at least for that particular session with that command line…
it appears to be running on tun0,so i likely edited something that caused eth0 be deactivated…

regarding only being able to connect via wifi,with vpn enabled,i’m still trying to resolve that.
i can only find a few instances of it happening online,so,it will likely take someone much more informed than myself to resolve it…

some say to reset the dns settings,which i’ll have to figure out how to do within linux…

Check if dns resolves during pinging hostnames:

ping google.com

You may find it easier to remove/readd networks (in case you changed a setting as we do not have enough details based on your posts).

Your VPN might not reset your dns settings. To test, you could try manually adding DNS servers to firefox/Network-Manager (edit connection). Or maybe try out the dns tool @dmknght created :slight_smile:

It is more or less likely dns related, less likely a routing issue (if you did something to change settings). Based on your posts I would start testing different DNS settings to see if it changes your experience. We haven’t received any of the network errors from you so at this point it is all guessing :wink:

after running this tool that you mentioned in the terminal,should i expect it to resolve the issue of missing eth0 configuration?

If still having network problems: try using `wireshark’ to sniff traffic while connected to a network. Then attempt to go to a website (you can also try adding DNS servers if you think that could be an issue- but we have not received any failure to resolve error details from you so it was a wild guess). The packets wireshark picks up will always give clues to network problems.

About eth0 question: try removing and then re-add your eth0 connection.

That is all I can offer based on the limited information provided.

will do,thanks…

It would seem to me that finding the correct .config file and editing that would bring about the desired results,which i’m certain the tool you mentioned above is accomplishing.

regarding the info provided being limited,i completely agree with you,as this appears to be a compound problem,in need of more than just one fix…
for me,as a new user,i’m attempting some of these things for the first time,which is why i try to provide articles and such of similar issues,in hopes to further explain…
i simply just don’t have the Knowledge to gather all the info needed,for an issue i can barely understand…

most of the things i do understand,come from working with rooted andriod devices,but even there,It’s pretty basic knowledge…
so,i can get the eth0 to work,but only when activated via terminal,which would mean that a permanent solution is likely an edit of a config file,which i’m not aware of…?
in researching this,i find many of the directories that are suggested for edit are often empty or non existent within this OS.
that’s also another reason for such limited information,especially with an issue that is so irregular,or untypical…
linux,while extremely malleable,is also extremely fragmented,which makes learning about particular issues,and their resolutions,very nuanced when attempting self diagnosis and fixes.

my new issue,to go with the networking issue,is since the rolling update,i’m no longer able to mount any devices or SDcards…?
worked fine before that,and now,nothing…
hopefully someone will be able to assist with that…

Let’s keep this post to one topic (you already started a thread on that: atm I am headed out right now but I will check it out later)

That is likely related to the differing directory structures (different Linux OS base w/have differing directory structures).

You can also use Network-Manager in gui mode to create a new Ethernet connection.

Unfortunately there are so many variables at play a fix for one of those articles many times is completely unrelated to other visually similar problem- which would take the thread off topic and make the entire post confusing (if ends up completely unrelated- not to mention time consuming to no end).

Which is why I asked about relevant connection error msgs/logs or wireshark packets to try to help you narrow the problem down. Most questions like this cannot be answered without guessing, logs, or experimenting.

Completely understandable…
I believe my lack of knowledge in this area is self evident,so simply asking for certain msgs/logs without instructions on how to generate them i’m afraid creates the same issue of “(if ends up completely unrelated- not to mention time consuming to no end)” by way of a lack of communication on how such things are done…

““Unfortunately there are so many variables at play a fix for one of those articles many times is completely unrelated to other visually similar problem-””

also understandable,but it sets a precedents of the issue that can potentially further the dialog where a user cannot,and as a result point to a potential resolution.
otherwise,tutorials wouldn’t work,and would cease to be method of learning how to do anything.

as these issues begin to grow,and ignored when addressed,i don’t think it’s unusual for someone to try and get as many answers as possible while they can…
so forgive me for piling on,but i’m still trying to address the issue of anonsurf not working,(user security being my reason for using the OS),a few networking issues,and now a mounting issue.
you must admit,a computer losing mount capability during an upgrade is a pretty severe issue,especially if the device is used for anything other than leisure…

I typically search for how to guides within this thread,and online, on how to resolve most issues.
in most cases,i’ve done fine with that,and have asked for far less support than might appear.

with users of linux,that seems to be the modus operandi,which is also fine,i was warned of that before switching…
i find some will assist you,if they can,but it appears the most knowledgeable of those people avoid interacting with support related issues all together,which is also fine by me.
no judgement intended,just merely an observation as someone who has worked in customer service.

this is a great OS,with a clearly talented group of people developing it.
and though support isn’t promised to be prompt,nor friendly (as a free OS),it often appears that translates into a lack of desire to assist those who are interested in learning,but may not possess the same level of knowledge as those who have mastered it…

ultimately,support,and a desire to provide it,is what will determine the success of any product,platform,person,etc.
So,if this OS is designed as more of a members only system,(for experts only),and not for new users to linux,than it’s developers should probably consider doing away with the downloads likely to be used by such people,i.e. the home mate version…

just a few thoughts,hopefully we can work towards resolving the issues spoken of,and thanks for engaging…

Since different platforms of the linux variety go about this,well,differently,and as a new user,could someone please inform me of what directory should be edited,or created if non existent,that would allow me to edit things such as dns settings permanently with the sudo nano option…
is it /etc/resolv.conf ,or something else perhaps?

i see things like the dns tool,which are clearly editing some directory via script.
the tool seems to help,but it doesn’t fully or permanently resolve the connectivity issue that i’m having.
if i can find out where,at least i’ll have a chance of solving my networking issues by researching online.i understand you all may be predisposed,and the urgency just isn’t of the highest priority for you.
but for me on the other hand,i’m basically in a position where my device is now failing at its most basic functions,and now with the apparent bug making mounting impossible,i cant just reinstall or move to something else,which means i’m stuck,bothering you guys…

also, if you all have some type of master directory that allows a user to know where things such as directories for dns settings is located, i can then perhaps make more progress…

hello,
when i run this command after boot,i’m able to connect to the internet with or without vpn service enabled,via wifi.
none of which is saved after reboot,this has to be done upon every powerup of the device for service to work.
it also appears eth0 still has to be enabled after the fact,so obviously i’ve misconfigured /etc/sysconfig/interfaces.
my goal is to simply to have both wlan0 and eth0 available upon request automatically.

at the moment ifconfig only shows results for lo,and wlan0…

if the way i am describing this is unclear,let me know…

well maybe you can now learn bash scripting and start doing automation

we can make scripts run on every startup automatically

1 Like

i had that concept in my head,though i didn’t know the proper term for it.
so,yeah,that sounds like the next move…

once i can learn what directories need to be edited,running the scripts and being able to verify them will change the user experience completely…

Not at all. Home version only means a setup for Home users of Parrot OS (Linux). It is less pentesting oriented than Parrot Security Edition (you can still install all the pentesting tools at will).

Being there are so many variables involved in setting up a networked Linux operating systems, one is expected to at least find out how to include logs in a question.

Start here: How to check logs in Linux

When asking a question, be sure to first check out the Support Forum Guidelines. Most importantly, be sure you include enough details/logs to answer question (I know I mentioned it, but logs are really, really important for networking/hardware related questions).

I find the best way to learn is to break something on Linux. Sure it can be frustrating, but most of us never learn more :wink:

As a community, we all want to help each other here, but if we can’t see what is going on in your system, we can’t fully understand the problem.

Start with apropos command:

apropos topicNameHere

That will list various commands related to topicNameHere.

Then pick a command listed, and read the man page for it (man = manual page):

man CommandNameHere

This 2 step equation will give you plenty of reading material to better use the command line :slight_smile:

Outside the man pages, look at one of the many free online guides on the basics of Debian Linux. Go through the commands to get a better understanding. Then, when you do have a problem, it will be easier for you to describe it in a way we can better help you :slight_smile:

Most problems can be solved by viewing logs in /var/log directory and google searching the errors related to a problem.

On to your question.

/etc/resolv.conf is referenced for your nameservers (DNS)… See output below:

┌─[jerry@localhost]─[~]
└──╼ $ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
1 root root 31 Jul 19 01:14 /etc/resolv.conf -> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

/etc/resolv is a link, meaning it sends references to another file (as the arrow points to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf).

Here is something you can do quickly that will set DNS servers (including after reboot):

Open an editor (like nano below) to edit the file /etc/resolv.conf is linked to:

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

Add as many DNS servers as you like (each line as shown below) (Parrot has its own OpenNIC name servers available for your use, or you can choose another set), as shown below as example:

nameserver 172.105.162.206
nameserver 142.4.204.111

Then save the file /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf and issue:

sudo service network-manager restart

The new servers should take effect.

Many configuration files are in the /etc directory (depending on which you are looking for).

Thanks for the response,and the added info below,i’m certain it will help.

as someone new to this platform,and linux as a whole,understanding the (what i would call,)fragmented nature of the platform,adds an additional layer of complexity to what methods and
language should be used to resolve particular issue or even checking logs,so we tend to rely on the language we know…

perhaps something like a navigation key,or Rosetta stone wouldn’t hurt…
you could perhaps pin that to the forum along with the other things already there,for new users like myself just learning command lines.
that would,(in my opinion),both promote,and enforce, the rules of you forum,by putting the tools necessary for learning the language right there for all.

i respect the idea of reading and researching the forum for answers,and the rules against multiple post,etc.
i can understand that,as someone who has used the xda forum for years.

i believe in my situation,what you have is a person trying to get as many answers as possible from whomever is engaging,because as issues begin to add up,and no one answers,you begin to question the legitimacy of the phrase “support group”…
not a dig,just in general …

so for example,i knew this issue was likely caused by something i did,but fixing that required me to ask for a method of navigating the files,directories,and logs.

but in the case of something like anonsurf,which has never worked since i’ve installed the OS,i am no further along with that than when i initially asked how to fix it months ago…

similar with the mounting issue (solved today by @I_Have_Treasure earlier today) :pray: caused by the last rolling update.
so,of course i’m asking questions ,while looking for my own answers…

with android,i’ve bricked enough phones to get what you are saying about learning from failure.
but,its also good to know you are heard,and that someone takes your question seriously…

it’s easy for someone with knowledge of this system to look at those trying to learn,and fix,serious issues like the architect from the matrix,but,its the Morpheus types that truly get us there…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.