Booting From USB Fails

I am using an ASUS GX701LWS (Zephyrus S17) notebook with Windows 11 Pro installed. Secure boot is disabled.

The Parrot-security-4.11.3_amd64.iso image was burned to a SanDisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 flash memory stick. I used Etcher, mkusb, and Virtual Box to create a GPT/EFI formatted memory stick, and experienced no difficulties installing the OS with the Calamares installer.

The Windows boot manager offers the option to boot from partition 1 of the memory stick, but does not boot when selected. Several other Linux OS’s do boot this way, but not Parrot.

I tried booting from a desktop computer with rEFInd as the boot manager. Booting was successful in that rEFInd found Parrot’s grub in the EFI partition and offered that as a selection. I suspect that the Windows boot manager is having issues with the btrfs architecture of Parrot, but I don’t know that for certain.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a solution other than installing rEFInd in the notebook?

1 Like

@theYogster , Have you checked if the system has enough memory to contain the particular Parrot edition that you want to install?

You may try Parrot Home edition as Security edition is heavier than the Home one.

Farial_Mahmod thank you for your reply. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that Parrot-secure needs 40 GB memory to run properly. It installs in much less than that, of course. The USB flash I’m using is 64 GB, and I have been able to install Parront on a 32 GB stick. Be that as it may, run time memory is not the issue. I cannot get the disk to boot; it doesn’t recognize Grub.

I now believe the problem is related to the USB disk file system, which is not UEFI. If you know of a version of Parrot in the UEFI (not secure boot) format, I’d appreciate a link to the download.

1 Like

usb and iso file has no different versions as uefi
etcher.io will format your usb to gpt (which might not sometimes, so format it once with rufus for unbootable format if u used that usb before) then again burn parrot with etcher
Then change settings in bios to uefi if it’s in legacy
But if your windows is installed in mbr (legacy) then it wont boot in uefi, so u might have to reinstall windows in gpt with rufus
Then when you have parrot flashed with etcher and bios on uefi, your parrot installation can be done with /boot/efi mountpoint for boot or grub.

Thank you once again for your insights. I understand now that the Parrot installer iso only has one version.

I think my boot problem has been resolved. My most recent attempt at burning the downloaded Parrot .iso to a USB flash memory was done using Etcher. I will note that Etcher released a new version of it’s software very recently and it looks much better than the old version. Not only does it look better, it seems to work better as well. There was no problem with the Windows boot manager recognizing the Parrot memory stick created with Etcher nor was there a problem handing boot control over to it. Even more surprising (to me anyway) was that the Parrot installer now installed the working OS in the desired EFI disk format. It did not do this previously. Parrot now boots as expected from the Windows boot manager.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.