Build failure for realtek-rtl8188-dkms is back, previous fix still works

– Hello! –
First-time poster, new-ish and learning things. :slight_smile: I ran across a build issue (realtek-rtl8188-dkms) in a recent update (today) and wasted a bunch of time trying to tinker with it before remembering it had occurred on another laptop of mine - and previously been fixed - about a year ago!

That is, the problem detailed in the following thread seems to have returned, and the command indicated by this particular comment is still all that is required to remedy it (for me):

Since it returned for me, I figured others may wander through here looking for help with it, too. As well, I wanted to help draw attention to it in case the fix y’all previously implemented was undone upstream, accidentally, or something. :slight_smile: As the previous thread was closed, I could not simply comment about its return. FWIW:

• Kernel version: 6.0.0-2parrot1-amd64 (previously 5.18.0-14parrot1-amd64)
  • Parrot version in use: 5.1 Electro Ara (this probably updated too)
4 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. This fixed resolved all errors and issues

2 Likes

THANK YOU! Seriously. I was really worried for a minute there with that error, I even thought about reverting back to the older kernel cause nothing I tried worked. You helped me tremendously!

2 Likes

Yip dito… Same version/build Kernel.

1 Like

I am a complete noob on hardware drivers. I am experiencing this same problem but don’t want to remove the wifi driver I am using for my wifi device. How do I tell what driver is associated with my wifi card before removing the realtek-rtl8188eus driver?

1 Like

Hi @nekton !

Newbie, myself - no worries! And, I understand wanting to be sure. :slight_smile: I didn’t even think to double-check that, myself, before trying it. Great question!

I didn’t know how to do that, so I did some searching; and, I think I found an answer for you, from the following page:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-wireless-driver-chipset/

In short:

sudo lspci # or lspci | grep network
# This will list a bunch of devices. 
# Make note of the identifier in the first column
# for your network controller. It might actually 
# list the driver there, too. In my case, on 
# a liveusb, it was "01:00.0"

sudo lspci -vv -s 01:00.0 # lspci -vv -s {the found ID}
# This should return information about that 
# device, network controller, etc. In my case, on a
# liveusb, it showed something like this:
# 
# 01:00.0 Network Controller: Realtek...
# ...
# Kernel driver in use: rtl8188ee
# Kernel modules: rtl8188ee, wl
#
# This seems to indicate I'm using the rtl8188ee
# driver, rather than the problem rtl8188eu driver.

Other than that, you could give “lshw” a try, if it’s installed (it wasn’t, for me, by default on parrot liveusb), as follows:

sudo lshw

Hope this helps (and inspires confidence to continue)! :cat:

– Now that I finished installing Parrot to this (different) laptop, I double-checked to see if it was all the same in a normal install, and got the same results. :slight_smile: Aside: sudo is apparently not necessary.

1 Like

Thanks! When I ran the lspci | grep network command it returned nothing. Then I realized since my wifi device is connected through a USB port that I needed to run lsusb. That gave me the name of the manufacturer but not the driver it was using. Still, I went ahead and did a purge since the autoremove, did not work for me.

How do I force a rebuild of the kernel image so I can see if the problem is really gone?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.