Can Parrot replace Tails?

Not trying to make a one vs one, just asking if i need a Tails USB if i have a Parrot one ? Parrot is hardened, has lot of security and anonymat feature, so except the fact that running a live Tails usb might be more amnesic than a Parrot one (might, Parrot live has forensic mode so… same to me), is there really another difference ?

Because i’m getting totally used to Parrot and would be glad if i found out that i don’t need any other system for whatever i want to do.

Tails is a system built for livebooting and is more privacy-oriented - Parrot is made for security/pentesting and general development use, mainly - they may sound like they overlap but at the end of the day they’re each made for a particular use case. In the spirit of “do one thing and do it well” it’s only natural for different flavors of distributions to fly together.

1 Like

Try running Tails in Virt-manager, inside Parrot. -->> Running Tails in a VM inside Parrot 3.11

If you run a VPN in Parrot, Tails “Unsafe” browser will connect to websites that block Tor. Add privacy extensions (e.g., NoScript, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, Random Agent Spoofer, and UBlock Origin) to Tails “Unsafe” browser through “about:addons” in the address bar.

1 Like

Good to know… my idea was, that Parrot is more amnestic than Tails…

-> If you run a VPN in Parrot, Tails “Unsafe” browser will connect to websites that block Tor
What makes the Tails “Unsafe” browser unsafe?

Thank’s a lot for any feedback!

Joe

Tails “unsafe” browser is supplied only to connect to public WiFi networks and various Internet portals that eschew Tor. For whatever reason, these sites, networks, nodes, portals, etc. require your real machine identifiers, e.g., mac address and IP address. Therefore, Tails’ “unsafe” browser comes stripped of all privacy protection in order to supply the required data. Read the warnings on Tails’ “unsafe” browser’s start page. You are never completely anonymous when using the “unsafe” browser.

When connecting to a public WiFi network, first do this with Tails’ unmodified (i.e., out-of-the-box) “unsafe” browser. Then modify Tails’ “unsafe” browser as outlined below in order to connect to websites that refuse connections from Tor exit nodes.

Many transaction-oriented websites (especially those with user accounts) refuse connections from Tor exit nodes (via Cloudflare, etc.).* Hence, by running Tails in a virtual machine, its “unsafe” browser will facilitate these connections by utilizing your underlying VPN connection that you set up in the Parrot host machine. This at least keeps your web traffic on these nettlesome sites out of your underlying ISP’s logs.

However, in order to maintain any semblance of privacy with Tails “unsafe” browser, you need to modify it by adding the privacy extensions I mentioned. Do this via the “unsafe” browser’s hidden addon manager -->> type “about:addons” in the “unsafe” browser’s address bar. Use the "search for " addons tool in the addons manager to both find and install the privacy-enhancing addons I listed earlier.

If you should encounter a WiFi network or other kind of portal or site that also eschews VPNs, then you need to turn off your Internet (Tor) connection in Tails, disable any spoofing generated by the privacy-enhancing addons you installed in Tails’ “unsafe” browser (simply restart Tails’ “unsafe” browser in “safe mode”, which disables all addons), scuttle the VPN connection in your Parrot host machine, restart Tails’ Internet connection, and re-attempt connecting to the troublesome website with Tails’ “unsafe” browser (which now uses your real IP address via your now naked ISP). While all of your Tor-routed traffic remains secure in Tails, every identity aspect worth knowing is now exposed through Tails’ now completely naked “unsafe” browser. That’s why it uses the bright red theme, i.e., to remind you of that exposure.

• Cloudflare puts you through the “I’m not a robot” drill many times in order to cobble together some semblance of your true Internet identity.
2 Likes