Can't complete EFI install with Live USB installer

Whats the secret to getting a EFI install to work?
Parrot 4.8b4 (x86-64)

Tried installing in the live X environment, also tried the gtk and text installers from the boot menu.

Installation fails at attempting to install grub-pc in target.

Network connectivity seems to drop after launching the installer in X. Network connectivity doesn’t seem to work at all in the GTK/Text installers.

Any advice, I’d tried over the past year to periodically get a EFI install to work, but no dice (tried 4.7 and 4.8b4). For further information, I’ve tried the various guided options in partitioning (all on 1 partition, LVM, Encrypted LVM*preferred) but all seem to result in the same error, as well as manual configuration.

Hi RcP, did you check UEFI at BIOS? Where are you trying to install the OS, in a desktop or a usb persistance? Which kind of error gives you “grub-pc”?
Regarding network connection can you plug in a cable an receive an IP? If not, did you try to modify wpa_supplicant.conf for WIFI connection?
Regards

Here’s a useful link, maybe can help:
https://community.parrotlinux.org/t/tutorial-installing-grub-using-live-usb/5672

yea i’m trying to install parrot home on a laptop.
the grub-pc-efi cant installation /target/ (i dont remember if it mentioned grub-efi-amd64) message occurs in the grub installation stage of the install wizard.
The laptop is definitely uefi and I dont think it even supports legacy (mbr) boot. (surface pro 3)

the connection during the x install is wifi, the wifi connection works until the wifi starts, and doesnt return until after i quit our of the installer and reconnect… I could try a usb ethernet adapter but i was afraid that might not having a linux driver.
I appreciate your interest so far and look forward to any further asistance

Hi RcP, can i ask if you had some other OS in that HDD before? And if you did, was it encrypted? If it does, when you install Parrot, there is an option to erase or nuke every byte with zeroes, maybe that helps. This option is in manual install and inside the partition choose that (i don’t remember exactly the “label”)

Yea, there was an encrypted linux distro on there prior. I just tried writing dd /dev/zero to the drive and it didn’t seem to make a difference with the installer wizard error at the grub stage.

Solved!

Used the 4.8 Beta ISO, used rufus in DD mode to write to a usb for boot.

Booted from USB, wiped drive of all data and partitions (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda status=progress)
Rebooted, Selected TEXT Install

Chose LVM-Encrypted from install wizard.

Failed a grub install again.
Went to see install log (ctrl-alt-f5 or in my cause ctrl-alt-fn-f5 for laptop)
See warnings and errors at grub step:

warning: Cannot read EFI Boot* variables.
warning: read_file: could not read from file: Input/output error.
warning: vars_get_variable: read_file(/sys/firmware/efi/vars/Boot0001-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c/raw_var) failed: Input/output error.
warning: efi_get_variable: ops->get_variable failed: Input/output error.
error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: Input/output error.
error: Running ‘grub-install --force “dummy”’ failed.

do a google search and find there’s a bug reported for in Debian:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=933523
Switch to another console (ctrl-alt-f3 or ctrl-alt-fn-f3):
run “mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars”
Switch back to installer and rerun install grub step.

Grub completes install, System boots and operates normally.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.