Can't connect to a network

Can anyone assist with issue.

I was able in the past to connect in to a network and now I’m no longer able to. It keeps asking me for authentication. I’m able to connect to this network on MacOS and windows but not on parrot. The type of network is WPA2 Enterprise PEAP.

I think it could have been because I ran sudo apt-get upgrade from terminal by mistake instead of the proper parrot upgrade commands

Same problem here, seems like the school I am going to does not have support for nor Parrot OS has a driver/ internal network backend problem that should be addressed as a BUG. LOL I thought your name was Communist Systems. I personaly am Russian so if I offended you by the previous statement you can offend me by asking me to perform a slav squat or Drink Vodka :joy: :joy: :joy: :grin:

Not sure if I blocked, because I have connection when I use Ethernet. ConnectionistSystem is another name neural networks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectionism :smiley:

Are you able to connect to other networks wirelessly now or is it just this one at the school that gives you issues?

I’m not a real AI fanatic :joy: but all goodz. Funny thing is I have a connection through ethernet too :grin:

I suspect something wrong happened with an updated or something. Perhaps DNS configuration stopped working correctly.

Would anyone please tell me what stupid thing I did. I think the issue started after I did a sudo apt-get upgrade instead of the correct way to update sudo apt full-upgrade . I know that the OS is not being blocked because on another computer I have parrot OS installed and I don’t have the issue.

Is there a way to revert the sudo apt-get upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

I dont believe you can really undo an upgrade easily. /var/log/apt/history.log will list: installs, upgrades, ect. So you could do it manually, or even write a custom script to do it all, but i do not recommend you do that.

Post the output of /var/log/messages and we will see what we can see, see, see.

1 Like

sudo resolvconf -u

returns nothing for me, is this correct ???
Should there be a symbolic link?

tail -f of messages shows this message.

state change: need-auth -> failed (reason ‘no-secrets’, sys-iface-state: ‘managed’)
manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
device (wlan0): Activation: failed for connection ‘Network Name’

device (wlan0): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason ‘none’, sys-iface-state: ‘managed’)

in the other computer after authenticating is says authenticated and it works fine. I didn’t add anything extra.

I wouldnt worry about dns atm, connect to the router first. But i dont use a symbolic link for my resolv.conf.

There seems to be lots of posts online with a similar problem to you, it might be worth trying some of their solutions (they all seem to be different).
So unfortunately im not much help. But if you gather any more information, post it back here and i will see if i can help.

1 Like

I was facing similiar issue: network is WPA2 Enterprise PEAP

all other OS (mac, windows, android, IOS, different Linux distributions) are working fine - parrotos not

wpasupplicant is the problem - just downgrade and it will work

@san7 This does look like the issue. If you have time would you please show instructions on how you downgraded. The synaptic manager doesn’t let you force versions.
Did you do something similar to these instructions, they are fro ubuntu. Thanks

download .deb package from here
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wpa/wpasupplicant_2.4-1+deb9u2_amd64.deb

first hold the package which was installed via apt, then install the .deb manually

sudo apt-mark hold wpasupplicant
sudo dpkg -i wpasupplicant*.deb

I don’t want to mess around with different sources so manually installation is the safest (for the moment)

2 Likes

Thank you @san7 . I’m able to connect to the network now.

2 Likes