Can't create HostOnlyNetwork Virtualbox

Briefly describe your issue below:

I’ve installed Parrot directly onto my harddrive. I’ve installed virtualbox from the parrot repos. I’m trying to now import an intentionally vulnerable virtual machine from vulnhub. To do that I need to create a host only network between my host machine (Parrot) and my virtual machine (Vulnhub image). When I got to File -> Host Network Manager -> Create I get the following error message:

VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: Operation not permitted.

In the details section I get:

VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: Operation not permitted.

And also:

Result Code:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

I believe this has something to do with the firejail config. Hoping that someone has a solution or even a work around?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Latest - 4.5 64bit (Security)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard Install

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
No other issues, everything else works great.

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Yeah it is firejail.

The fix being to modify its profile. You could use --build to help you, if thats what you want to do.

A workaround would be firejail --noprofile virtualbox. This obviously isnt ideal, although you might only have to do it once to create the network :man_shrugging:.

Thanks for the response. It worked perfectly. I ran firejail --noprofile virtualbox and created the network. After closing virtualbox and running it again in the normal profile, I’m actually able to create and edit networks as normal.

This has been the one thing putting me off switching to Parrot from Kali.

1 Like