Can't find installed apps in menu

After installation of apps from Software in System tools menu i can only find them and launch through the software application. I can’t launch them from application menu and with alt+f2 combination because of their absense. For example, i installed PyCharm, but there is only one place, where I can find it - Software from System tools to launch. In addition in Software menu “show more” on main page doesn’t work
Parrot 4.3 64 bit (after update, but in 4.2 it was the same problem)

Don’t configured to multiboot

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

I am not really sure what you are trying to say. But if you want to add an application to the main menu, there is an application called ‘Main Menu’ that will allow you to do that.

As for my question: if i install applications from terminal (using apt install) or with synaptic package manager - i can find all of these apps in mate menu (divided by categories). But if i install apps from Software in System tools menu - they don’t appear in mate menu. Also i can’t launch them with Alt+F2 command. I can launch them only directly from Software app (by typing name of the application and then clicking launch). For example, PyCharm python IDE from Software. I can only find it in Software, and can’t see in Mate meny. Available in synaptic packages (such as cherrytree) I can see in mate menu after installation.

If you know the executable name you can use whereis <name> that will tell you where it is in the filesystem. If you arnt sure on the name you could use find / -name "*charm*" (search for things containing the word ‘charm’).

Once you know where it is you can add it to the menu using ‘Main Menu’ application.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I’ll try it later.

I am having the same issue, I cannot find installed applications at all…in none of the menus.
The only way to launch is with Terminal…thk God for the Terminal. Any help or advice would be greatly received.
Thanks.

Hi, I came across the same situation.
One could look into the Main Menu.

1. Right-clicked on the Main Menu.
  2. Select the Edit Menu.
  3. Check the apps you would like to be visible.

You could refer to the screenshots as well.
Hope this helps.

You can try to refresh menu using next command in terminal:
sudo su
update-desktop-database -q

The program menu is launchers which should be written in /usr/share/applications/ for whole system or $HOME/.local/share/applications/ for normal user, meanwhile the app binaries / command is in $PATH, commonly at /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/. App launcher and run command has nothing to do with each other.
As other users pointed out, there are some specific cases that launchers aren’t updated or being hidden.