Can't Live Boot from USB

Briefly describe your issue below:
Unable to boot ParrotSec Live from USB

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Latest Download - 4.8 Security MATE ISO

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
None - Live Boot won’t open

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No

Hello Parrot Community,

I downloaded the 4.8 Security MATE ISO and followed the instructions for creating a Live USB device.

Some background -

I am running Fedora 31 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with an i5 processor. I have gone into the BIOS menu and set USB HDD as the first device on the Boot list. I formatted an 8GB SIMMAX brand USB Memory Stick to fat32 and used Etcher to burn the ISO file to the stick. (Etcher would fail unexpectedly until I formatted the stick to fat32)

The problem I’m having is this:

When the boot menu for Parrot appears, I select LIve or any other option, the screen will flash but maintain the parrot boot menu background and remove all the options from the screen. About 3-4 seconds later, the menu options will reappear and the “Automatic boot” countdown of 30 seconds will begin.

No matter what I do, this will reoccur over and over.

The only other option I’ve found thus far is to hit the esc key and the black “boot:” terminal screen appears.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Solved -

Used dd to rewrite the file to USB. No more issues.

Well, Parrot OS’s Developer officially suggest you to use Etcher to burn the ISO. That way no issue occurs.
You can read the documentation here.

That was what I tried for over a week. On three different occurrences I had the issue I described after following the prescribed method via Etcher. However the problems continued to occur no matter how many times I reformatted the USB and downloaded a fresh copy of the ISO.

It was also here that dd was given as an option, and considering how careful I was to be sure I knew what drive (sda or sdb) my USB was listed as, I was able to use dd to complete the ISO burn and get the USB to live boot without a single issue from beginning to end.

While the official recommendation is Etcher, as it turns out, the one method they warn against was the only one I could get to work.

I found assistance though an IRC chat for Linux on Freenode that was full of very helpful people, many of whom have had a number of issues using Etcher and also recommended using dd, just as I now endorse.

Well no problem if now it is working.

Yep. I tried to post that I solved via dd.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.