Can't login as user after reboot

Briefly describe your issue below:
After reboot, I cannot log in as my user. I can log in as root. The screen flashes like it accepted the password then kicks me right back to the login screen.

I have checked the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files and both look fine.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot GNU/Linux 4.7

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Standard from thumb drive

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

This happened after I rebooted while tring to install GNS3 last night. The errror I was getting from that was about psutil. But I don’t think that it has anything to do with being able to log in?

Can’t roll back psutil; was not uninstalled
Command “/usr/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-install-jw1tgbja/psutil/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-record-f_o3kzjx/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install-jw1tgbja/psutil/

Thanks ina advance.

I was able to fix this issue before the post was approved.

For some reason, .xAuthority was set to root:root under my user home folder.

I found this out by looking at the /var/log/user.log files. I saw an error that said .xAuthority permission denied. I went to /home/user, and did an ls -al and saw it was root:root. Once I chown the file to the proper user:group, I was able to log back in.

Not sure why this file got changed in the first place. But solved now.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.