Changing encryption password?

parrot version = 4.19.0

Please bare with me as I am new to Parrot Linux. I’ve encrypted my hard-drive with a password and now I wish to change that that password. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• dustin

Hi @g27xdustin, welcome to the Parrot community.

Do you know your existing password to decrypt the hard drive?

If you know your existing password and can log in to the system, you can do the following:

1. sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility && sudo apt-get install gnome-disks
  2. open Disks and Select Device, select volume, Click cogs (more actions) -> “Change passphrase”

There are other medthods (see below) to achieve the same result, but I think the above steps may be better suited to your needs.
sudo cryptsetup -y luksAddKey ENCRYPTED_PARTITION
sudo cryptsetup luksRemoveKey ENCRYPTED_PARTITION

Thanks for the quick response! So… I tried both methods and they did not work.

The problem with the first method is that Terminal is telling me that it cannot find “gnome-disks.”

The second method just prevents me from changing the passcode.

I guess this speaks to the security of Parrot!

I just tested this and it worked, just run without the gnome-disks install.

1. sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility
  2. open Disks and Select Device, select volume, Click cogs (more actions) -> “Change passphrase”

Tried that as well. When I go to disks, the option to change the pass phrase is grayed out.

Also, on a side note, do we not have root access to parrot? When it asks for administrative password, I put in my regular password and it does not work…

1. When you go into disks, are you selecting the LUKS partition? I’ll post a screenshot in a minute I can change it on my machine
  2. I should’ve asked but what version of Parrot are you running? You said 4.19, but that’s the kernel.
  3. For security reasons, we do not have root access. You need to use the administator password you created when you installed Parrot if root is needed.
  1. Do I need to be selecting the LUKS partition?
  2. How do I check my version of Parrot?
  3. Understood. Note: I don’t recall setting up an administrative password… I have a log-in password that I use, but that isn’t working for the administrative password.

Note: Ran the “$ uname -a” script and this came back:

Linux parrot 4.19.0-parrot1-13t-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.13-1parrot1.13t (2019-01-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that 4.19.13 is the actual version of Parrot I am running… is this correct?

Thanks for all the help!

1. Yes, you need to select the LUKS partition.
  2. cat /etc/*release OR cat /etc/issue # you can easily find information in the man pages or on the internet, please try to solve problems/questions before asking here. You will learn MUCH faster.
  3. When installing, Parrot prompts you for an administrator password before your user password. It seems you forgot yours though.

I apologize. I’m a bit new so I’m just now getting used to researching my own information. It’s going to take some practice. Knowing what to look for has been the hardest part.

Thanks for pointing in me in the right direction. I have it figured out now!

No need to apologize. Glad we were able to help!

If you’re trying to get into using Linux, take this free course as a primer: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux

if your logged into the system, just load a terminal, type sudo su
then type passwd root
done
now when you boot into encrypted it will be this new password

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.