Changing plymouth boot animation

Hey y’all,

Not sure if this belongs in support, as it’s more a “for fun” thing, but I’ve pretty much hit a wall and figure I might as well post here.

I’m running Parrot 5.0 on a live usb (with encrypted persistence). Kernel 5.14.0-9parrot1-amd64. KDE plasma 5.20.5 if that matters.

What I’ve been trying to do is change the plymouth boot animation (bootsplash?) to something of my own. I have been very unsuccessful. What it breaks down to, is after setting the new theme

plymouth-set-default-theme <my-theme>

i have to run

update-initramfs

(this can be done pretty easily with plymouth-set-default-theme <my-theme> -R according to the plymouth manual.)
Only issue is that update-initramfs (or the live version live-update-initramfs) does not work.

No matter what I try I am met with

I: update-initramfs is disabled (live system is running on read-only media).

So that’s not fun. I’m getting to the point where I am unsure if it’s even possible to do. I poked around a lot, and frankly don’t remember most of it.

I’m around 80% sure that if I was able to properly unpack the filesystem.squashfs and chroot into it to update the initramfs without the file being on a live system (and then replace the old filesystem.sq with the new, cooler one i just made) it would work. That… is it’s own issue that I’m not even sure how to describe fully. It appears the directories don’t copy correctly. Also i can’t use unsquashfs on it.

Read on filesystem failed because Is a directory
Read on filesystem failed because Is a directory
Cant find a SQUASHFS superblock on /usr/lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs

(yes it says it twice)

I ended up getting a second bootable drive to see if I could mess with mounting and unmounting, but I’ve had no results with it.

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated! Because I would love to make the little parrot into this cute gif I made.

Thanks!
~Catra <3

Live system is read only system.If you want to change, you have to install and change it.

Sorry for the late reply!
Is there no work around?

For example, if I were to dual install onto windows, and update the plymouth boot + img, would i be able to flash a thumbdrive with that version?

If this would work, I assume i couldn’t use a vm for it?

Alternately, could I boot live into one thumbdrive, and then update the initramfs on the other drive? Since it wouldn’t be an active live system…?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.