Corrupted Super-Block | Bad Magic Number In Super-Block

Briefly describe your issue below:

What version of Parrot are you running? Version 4.10, Edition Security MATE, Architecture amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? No

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

fsck from util-linux 2.36
e2fsck 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks…
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

• e2fsck -b 8193 *
  • or*
  • e2fsck -b 32768 *

Found a dos partition table in /dev/sdc

Problem: So, this isn’t necessarily a Parrot OS issue. Rather, it involves a Hitachi 500GB HDD “external” that got messed up a few days back after my laptop froze and I had to force restart it.

First of all, I had installed some software intended to create live wallpapers. However, I noticed it was really resource-heavy when I was trying to create new partitions on my HDD and the system froze. I did my best to wait but it totally froze.

After forcing the laptop to restart, I noticed that the partitions on the HDD were “partially” complete (or it seemed that way). I’ve tried fdisk, fsck, GParted, and everything else with no success.

No matter what I try, I can not create partition tables, create new partitions, delete the corrupted ones, or alter disk in any way. I’ve watched and read numerous tutorials but nothing has gotten me even close to fixing this problem.

Lastly, every software I use is able to read the disk, even though it displays "unknown file system, “there is no file system available,” “the file system is damaged,” “file system is unknown to GParted,” and “device entry /dev/sdc1 is missing.” And when I try to force the deletion or creating a partition, it seems like it will work but fails at the last second.

I’m hoping someone in the Parrot Community knows what happened to the HDD and how to recover it … or something. Thanks in advance for any assistance. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.