Dependency Issues with Monodevelop IDE

I am trying to install Monodevelop IDE.

I have tried installing from repo as well as trying to install with with the deb package. I followed the instructions for Debian on MonoDevelop’s download page for their IDE.

┌─[user@host]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt install monodevelop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 monodevelop : Depends: libglade2.0-cil (>= 2.12.45) but 2.12.40-3 is to be installed
               Depends: libglib2.0-cil (>= 2.12.45) but 2.12.40-3 is to be installed
               Depends: libgtk2.0-cil (>= 2.12.45) but 2.12.40-3 is to be installed
               Recommends: libgtk2.0-cil-dev but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: xamarin-gtk-theme but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I’m running Linux host 5.7.0-2parrot2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.10-1parrot2 (2020-07-31) x86_64 GNU/Linux Mate Edition.

I’ve tried updating, upgrading, fixing broken packages. Nothing results in a successful installation of the monodevelop package.

Also does v2.12.45 of libglade2.0-cil even exist?

Has anyone had any luck with installing this on Parrot OS? I see it’s a common issue online and the general solution is to install a fresh copy of Debian or Ubuntu and go from there. But I love Parrot OS and I have finally settled down with it, except for this… I also would much rather not run a VM just for MonoDevelop.

have you tried
sudo apt install -f this is for dependencies thing
otherwise you can manually try installing the required dependencies packages

Already tried both of those things.

I’ve tried updating, upgrading, fixing broken packages. Nothing results in a successful installation of the monodevelop package.
Also does v2.12.45 of libglade2.0-cil even exist?

It is sad but it is impossible to install monodevelop either it is windows(build from scratch) or on linux. I don’t know why it doesn’t work. But it never installs. I spent a lot of time trying to install it but to no avail

Well that sucks! I guess I will use Java.

you can develop using c# by installing .net and vscode

I imagine there’s no GUI form designer plugin though. I think I will need a .NET IDE for my project.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.