Dns problem after update

Hello guyz I would really need some help here.

Everything was running smooth until i logged in from my university’s wifi. After the connection was made i had to enter my uni’s credentials on a web page so i could use the Internet.

I did my job and I also did a ‘sudo apt update && apt upgrade’ which run perfectly.

After that I went home, and i couldn’t do anymore ‘sudo apt update’. This is the error I get:

I think something was messed up with the dns server but i can’t fix it. The truth is that I don’t have a lot of experience on linux, and it seems very complicated problem for me. But I would like to avoid reinstalling the OS or change to another OS, cause i really like parrot.

I also did NOT use anonsurf.

Thank you in advance!

I really hoped that the community would be more helpful. I don’t know if my question is so dumb but I really can’t find any answer on the Internet.

Same thing happens with the command “sudo parrot-upgrade”

First verify if it is a dns issue. Try:nslookup 8.8.8.8
If you can resolve the address to google.com. Try the reverse nslookup www.google.com

If those are able to resolve you may have a different issue than dns.
If those are unable to resolve try resetting and restarting DNS.

sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved.service
 #This will show you your dns status

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf && sudo ln -s /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
 #remove all config files and reset them

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved.service && systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service 
#restarting the service and setting it to enable at start up. 

Then it could either be fixed from that or require a restart.

See: networking - how to reset DNS settings to the defaults? - Ask Ubuntu for more info

First of all, thank you very much for your answer. The truth is that I did all the above but didn’t solve my problem.

Finally I did a clean install of the OS again, and everything looks fine now.

My guess is that on both of my laptops I had the Parrot Mate edition installed. After Parrot 5.0 was released I think something was messed up and couldn’t upgrade completely or something like that.

The command lsb_release-a was saying parrot5.0 but not Electro Ara. Whatever eveything now works perfectly. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.