Error: Dependency is not satisfiable

Briefly describe your issue below:

I downloaded a .deb file to install Audacity, the well-known audio editor, but I’m receiving the following error in Package Installer:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: audacity-data (=2.0.3-1)

It is apparent that there is a dependency missing, but I’m unable to solve it via the usual sudo apt-get method. I couldn’t find the package via apt cache search either. Is there something structural that would prevent apps like Audacity from running on Parrot? If there isn’t, could someone help me out with getting it installed?

I’m relatively new to Linux so apologies in advance if any of this sounds super-noobish.

Thanks.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)

Parrot GNU/Linux Release 4.0-beta 64-bit Kernel Linux 4.14.0-parrot13-amd64 x86_64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Debian GTK

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

Yes, Windows 10.

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: audacity-data (=2.0.3-1)

Here is the donwload link: LINK
Download the .tar.xz
Unpack it with tar -xJf file.tar.xz and read the README

1 Like

Have you tried first to install audacity via apt ?

If not it will be a lot more easier,the system install by itself all the programm needed, called dependencies, to make everything working. And also it is less likely to break your system and a lot more secure.
Here are the command to type to install audacity but first remove the first one you installed:

To remove audacity from the file you downloaded:

sudo dpkg purge audacity

to install audacity on the proper way:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install audacity

2 Likes

Thank you @g0rbe & @KileXt.

The second solution proved useful. The first one was getting a bit too hairy for me. I think I had tried a PPA link earlier but it said it didn’t recognize the command (?). Will look for a few books to learn Linux terminal better. Any recommendations?

For me, this is the absolute best

1 Like

Thanks, guess that will be my second book. I got ‘Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction’ by No Starch Press and it is fantastic.

I think it is more suited for a Linux beginner like me. Would recommend to any novice reading this.

You may start with the debian book administrator, this book exist in many languages and provide a lot of information, and it is free, but not the easiest to read, but free.

Here is a link:

https://debian-handbook.info/

2 Likes

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/