Error: No root device specified

Briefly describe your issue below:
I installed ParrotOS Security, but when booting from my boot manager, rEFInd (grub doesnt install into the first EFI partition, when I install it), it drops me into a initramfs prompt

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot-security-4.6_amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes - Windows 10

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
begin: running /scripts/init-premount … done
begin: mounting root file system … begin: running /scripts/local-top … done
begin: running /scripts/local-premount … scanning for btrfs filesystems
[5.362767] BTRFS: device label parrot-style devid 1 transid 145 /dev/nvme0n1p9
done
No root device specified. Boot arguments must include a root= parameter

Then I get dropped into initramfs

Sounds like you need a root=parameter somewhere in the boot configuration arguments or config file
How did you install rEFInd? Did you bother to check its documentation?

I originally installed rEFInd through Windows, using the documentation on their website. I used it as it auto detected most OS’s. Will take another look when I can (UTC +11 here)

Also, grub doesn’t install to the first partition, even if it says successful, would it be writing to the /boot partition automatically generated by Parrot (I select free space and select to automatically partition the space)?

I have the same error when booting into parrot os. What is the fix?

IMG_20190818_225912

Hi. Can you get to the grub and show us your boot paramaters? (Select Parrot in grub and press E and take a photo).

My grub doesnt work it just boots right into parrot os. I dont know to get or fix the grub loader. Even in bios it doesnt show any of the other operating systems just windows. I am using a bootloader live usb inorder to boot into parrot or kali linux

Your problem looks a bit different than this one. Can you create another topic for it? Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.