Firefox is confused about what timezone I'm in

– Please Write here your help request, –
I’ve ran into issues with two web apps while using firefox, all revolving around time zones. ProtonMail/Calendar has a pop up asking me if I want to switch the interface to UTC, and when I sent a message in the Slack web app interface just now, the timestamp displayed next to my message didn’t match my computer’s time displayed in the upper right hand corner.

Yesterday I added my local timezone in the Clock Preferences window on the Locations tab, and I’ve since booted up my laptop today but still have the issue with Firefox. Anyone familiar with what’s going on here? I’m at a loss.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):
VERSION_ID="5.0"
VERSION="5.0 (LTS)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
  • Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

I’ve been experiencing the same issue in Firefox. Tried using this browser extension and it’s still screwy.

Good to know it’s not just me! I thought it might an issue with my hardware (it’s an old laptop, and sometimes old motherboards have a battery that powers a chip to keep the time, and the battery can die), but if other people have it, maybe it’s not my hardware. I should try installing Parrot on an old desktop I have sometime, and seeing if I can reproduce this timezone issue.

My other thought is that Firefox might be running in some sort of container I had issues on another linux OS where certain links (say launched/clicked on from a terminal) would open in a weird/separate Firefox instance with an empty profile, in an attempt to isolate apps on the desktop. A nice security feature, but it seemed kind of buggy. Maybe Firefox on Parrot OS is in some sort of security sandbox, and can’t “see” what timezone I’m in? I’m not familiar with Parrot’s inner workings to figure out what configuration files I need to edit though.

@Th3Director I’ll try to continue our conversion in the correct topic.

I still cannot find any settings to “sync timezone with system settings”. I’m running firefox 89.0, and oddly enough the About Firefox window says I’m on parrot 4.11, but CLI says 5.0… I have attached a screen shot displaying the Preferences > General > Language setting, but I cannot find anything about timezones there.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

• Doug

maybe choose it to english(your_country)
I’ve a check box which ask for system settings, maybe due to different version of firefox
and is your system timezone and time correct?
$ timedatectl

https://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges

Hmm, I don’t think the language settings in firefox has anything to do with timezones… this firefox support article says nothing about the time or timezone.

I can verify debian has the correct timezone set:

┌─[doug@doug-asus-laptop]─[~]
└──╼ $timedatectl
               Local time: Tue 2021-11-16 12:08:28 CST
           Universal time: Tue 2021-11-16 18:08:28 UTC
                 RTC time: Tue 2021-11-16 18:08:28
                Time zone: America/Chicago (CST, -0600)
System clock synchronized: yes
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no
┌─[doug@doug-asus-laptop]─[~]
└──╼ $diff -s /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/`cat /etc/timezone`
Files /etc/localtime and /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago are identical

but in firefox, the JavaScript console reports this:

new Date()
Date Tue Nov 16 2021 18:04:18 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)

I’m at a loss… it works fine on my Windows desktop, so that’s what I mainly use right now. I can’t really think of anything else to try and look up to determine how to fix this!

@Th3Director what version of firefox do you have installed (if you use firefox, otherwise what browser and version do you use), and what do you see when you run new Date() in the inspector’s JavaScript console?

It might be I have a “broken” or “buggy” installation of parrot, since I used an incorrect command to upgrade/update apt in the past.

Would it possible to write a “support” program or script that can detect buggy installations of parrot?

I guess I’ll ping @danterolle while I’m at it, since they seemed to agree with Th3Director, maybe they’re smart enough to help an “ignorant newbie” such as myself! :stuck_out_tongue:

firefox esr (older i guess) which was replaced in the past update, i didn’t install firefox again
Though i got few reasons to install it now
even the gitlab ide is messed up lol i can’t stay with that, many works are pending.

exactly what i expect, present utc time and date,…
as my system timezone is messed up due to dualboot, even though i can set the time manually but according to system gmt+0530 = gmt 00, so the system will show gmt 0 settings for firefox.

well i just installed firefox from snap and it’s working perfectly
perfect timezone, and still the timezone,date,numbers,measurement option exists under language.

Did you update your OS??
I doubt that you did, because firefox is removed and firefox-esr replaced it.

You can install latest firefox with snap,

Hello,

I was able to confirm that the Firefox ESR timezone bug appears with parrot OS, but not on debian 11.

I installed Parrot-security-4.11.2_amd64.iso via VirtualBox, ran parrot-upgrade, and encountered the timezone in Firefox was different from my system settings. I then installed debian-live-11.1.0-amd64-mate.iso via VirtualBox, ran apt upgrade, and found that the timezone in Firefox matched my system’s settings. Below are the details of these tests.

===

Parrot 4.11.2:

┌─[doug@doug-parrot-vm]─[~]
└──╼ $cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION
VERSION_ID="5.0"
VERSION="5.0 (LTS)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
└──╼ $timedatectl
               Local time: Wed 2021-11-17 11:01:39 CST
           Universal time: Wed 2021-11-17 17:01:39 UTC
                 RTC time: Wed 2021-11-17 17:01:39
                Time zone: America/Chicago (CST, -0600)
System clock synchronized: no
              NTP service: n/a
          RTC in local TZ: no
└──╼ $diff -s /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/`cat /etc/timezone`
Files /etc/localtime and /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago are identical
└──╼ $

About Firefox dialog reports:

78.15.0esr (64-bit)
Firefox for Parrot OS
Parrot - 4.11

inspector console reports:

new Date()
Date Wed Nov 17 2021 17:02:43 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)

===

Debian 11.1.0:

(apologies for the screen shot, I couldn’t access the clipboard in the debian VM instance)

Here you can see the version of Firefox
it’s changed to esr 78.x, and even I was using the same

previously,on host machine, you were on 89.0 Firefox for ParrotOS
this is which I didn’t try these settings
I saw that time, date, number format settings randomly while applying some of my usual settings because my old browser was removed in the update

And in my last message I confirmed you about Firefox for snap 94.x.x version
so maybe you can install and try there?
sudo snap install firefox
On your host machine.

Why Firefox is replaced with esr?
»