Getting grub to boot windows

Briefly describe your issue below:

I ran the parrot installer and halved my hard drive and in the empty partition installed Parrot. I installed grub to the MBR and it told me it couldn’t find another OS but I could configure it later. I have windows 8 on the other partition. What do I need to do to get grub to see windows

What method did you use to install Parrot? used installer on live usb

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

hey, you shouldn’t have installed it on the mbr, install the system on the mbr only if you want 1 os on your computer . But i don’t know how to configure the grub.

Honestly you may have to resort to a clean install of both. The issues that you are talking about are well documented in regards to dual boot installs. I would wait to see what one of the dev team say but i think this guide here should help. I must urge caution though it is for windows 7 so the commands should be the same but if you have any sensitive info or personal I would back up before attempting this fix.

use this command : sudo update-grub2

First check the disk partiton to make sure that windows partition is exist also, then 2nd edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg to add a windows system entry, if it’s worked then save the section of grub.cfg before next update grub or kernel.

menuentry "Microsoft Windows Vista/7/8 BIOS-MBR" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod ntldr
search --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1 69B235F6749E84CE
ntldr /bootmgr

Note: modify the parameters to suit ur system condition.

BTW, if it worked, should edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and execute [grub-mkconfig|update-grub] to generate automately, it take effective for every kernel or grub programe update,
For BIOS-MBR based Microsoft Windows:

if [ "${grub_platform}" == "pc" ]; then
menuentry "Microsoft Windows Vista/7/8 BIOS-MBR" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod ntldr
search --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1 69B235F6749E84CE
ntldr /bootmgr
}
fi

For UEFI-GPT based Windows

if [ "${grub_platform}" == "efi" ]; then
menuentry "Microsoft Windows Vista/7/8 x86_64 UEFI-GPT" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod chain
search --fs-uuid --set=root $hints_string $uuid
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

ps. The worst condition is grub.cfg broken, please remember ur linux partation number and use grub command mode to login system :joy::joy::joy: :

set root=(hd1,gpt6)
linux /vmlinz root=/dev/sda6
initrd /initrd.img
boot