Grub_disk_native_sector after update

Hi everyone i have this problem when i update the system and i want to start show the message error: Symbol ‘grub_disk_native_sector’ not found.
And after that the OS dont start

I have the system in a external ssd the main OS is windows 10

help D:

Hi @jolge This usually occurs when you mix and match MBR and UEFI disks.

i.e. Your USB may be setup for MBR, but your hard drive is using UEFI, or visa-versa. Make sure to use balenaEtcher to create the USB and try reinstalling Parrot.

2 Likes

Well i try reinstall the OS
But the last time i used balena to make the usb live

The problem apear after update the OS.
I dont know why.
Thanks bro.

I am having the same issue after update. Is there any way to boot without reinstalling, I have some important data that will be wiped after reinstall. It was booting fine for last few months, just broke after this recent update.
Parrot is installed as main OS in a SSD.

Oh. I didn’t realize this wasn’t a new install.

I’m not a Grub2 master (yet :money_mouth_face:), but have you tried either of these two open source ISOs for repairing Grub issues? Hopefully one of them will do the trick, or someone with greater knowledge can help. :crossed_fingers: :+1: :vulcan_salute:

Hey,
I have the same problem. With the help of the support on the slack channel I managed to come to a solution.
You need to reboot and enter BIOS. Mine is UEFI 1.08 InsydeH20 5.0.
In the boot page, I see 2 entries - my ssd and an entry that is only a star *.
I set the * entry on first position for booting, save and exit and the system boots.
Alternatively, if you do not see the * entry in the boot menu, in my BIOS under the Main tab there is an option F12 Boot Menu. If this is enabled, after save and exit I smash F12 and a boot menu appears where there are 2 entries - my ssd and parrot. If I choose parrot the system boots, if I choose the ssd I go to grub rescue.
Hope this helps you.

hello again me
reinstall the operating system again and so in “base form” it runs perfectly for me I have no problem.

but when i update it
with sudo parrot-upgrade it restarts itself and the error appears again.

I install it as it normally has to be installed.

I’m having the same problem. I followed the documentation using balena etcher to flash the iso. However after I upgraded parrot with the “check for updates” tool, booting in UEFI gets me the same error as OP on both pc and mac. Running the “base form” as OP stated works perfectly, it’s just after the updates it breaks. I tried doing some research on my own and it seems like something in the update messed up GRUB so it is mixing up EFI and BIOS boot.

Also like another commenter mentioned, I noticed that there were two listings in my boot list after the update. One’s called “Parrot” and the other is just “UEFI OS”. Selecting Parrot is the only option that works, I believe this is the option saved into the NVRAM. But after I plugged the drive into my mac to test, the “Parrot” option was no longer there when I came back to the pc.

Someone please help D:

1 Like

I HAVE A SOLUTION! but I’m too much of a beginner to know if this is good practice or not but it works! lol

So there are two different EFI boots in Parrot, one uses /boot/efi/EFI/Parrot/grubx64.efi and the other /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi. There’s something wrong when using bootx64.efi, that’s what takes you into grub rescue with that error message. However loading grub using grubx64.efi works fine. Therefore, simply copy the grubx64.efi from from /EFI/Parrot into /EFI/boot and rename it bootx64.efi (you’re gonna need root permissions to do this) and viola! Grub loads up, no errors!

From my understanding bootx64.efi is supposed to be the fallback method of booting using USBs (which is actually my case cuz I’m using an external ssd), but somehow in the update process bootx64.efi got altered or didn’t get updated. But anyways, just copy the file over, rename, and you should be good to go.

Well i dont know why but the dir @/boot/efi/ is empty

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.