GRUB Errors during install

Hello there,

I’m having a hard time setting up Parrot 4.10 dualboot on my Notebook.
(Originally wanted to install Parrot security but ended up being happy if home was working)

I already had well working dualboot (Win10 + Parrot) some time back but GRUB unfortunately broke somehow.

I tried quite some different USB boot creators (YUMI /-UEFI, Rufus, UUI, UNetbootin, Etcher, dd)…

The only properly working results I achieved with YUMI-UEFI (renamed ISO to kali* to use Kali preset & copied the live directory to device-root to fix the filesystem.squashfs not found error) and UNetbootin.

Other ways either didn’t boot at all or failed at grub with “symbol grub_calloc not found” or “symbol grub_file_filters not found”.

My laptop supports UEFI-only as it hardly seems. Also no options there for legacy boot, secure boot or similar.

(Hardware is:
Core i3 8100
Samsung 970 Evo
8G DDR4
GTX 1050 Ti)

Whatsoever the error that throughs me up with YUMI-UEFI is:

External command finished with errors.
Command /usr/sbin/bootloader-config finished with exit code 100. Output: Running bootloader-config… * Installing grub-efi (uefi)…
[…]
E: Failed to fetch https://mirror.parrot.sh/mirrors/parrot/pool/main/g/grub2/grub-efi-amd64_2.04-8parrot1_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 172.67.174.196 443] E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I even tried to install grub-efi beforehand (and of course apt update), but it didn’t help.

The error booting from UNetbootin drive is:

Boost.Python error in job “bootloader”.
Command ‘grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Parrot --force’ returned non-zero exit status 1.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform. grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot0004. grub-install: warning: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to fd 7 failed: No space left on device. grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No space left on device. grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No space left on device.

Would be really glad if you could help me.

Best regards

Fortunately, I managed to get Parrot working (after some days of messing and trying around).

In the end I created (for me) working install media with UNetbootin (probably had worked as well, as it threw the same error I fixed in the end) and Etcher for Linux (in opposite to the Windows version it didn’t fail. I also used gParted to clean partitions before flashing, and not fdisk as suggested on here).

Direct-install (without booting live) didn’t work for me (even with the working Etcher-created-drive), as I read here it worked for someone.

Live booting threw same error during installation as posted above with UNetBootin:

[…]
grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot0004. grub-install: warning: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to fd 7 failed: No space left on device.
[…]

This can be fixed by:

mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*

Maybe the Parrot installer would’ve already worked then.

At least I did before:

mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/[ur install partition] /mnt/root

mount -o bind /[list] /mnt/root/[list]
List items are: dev, sys, proc

chroot /mnt/root
mount /dev/[EFI partition] /boot/efi
mount /dev/[install drive] /

Then:

removed efivar dumps as written above
update-grub
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Parrot

And Parrot FINALLY got to work. :slight_smile:

Have a good day.