GVM installation problem

Firstly, I was getting an error that it was not possible to update GVM packages with apt. I asked Google and I could see a recommendation to uninstall and reinstall. Now when I try to install with sudo apt install gvm I get the following error:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gvm : Depends: gsad (>= 22.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gvmd (>= 22.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: ospd-openvas (>= 22.5.1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: greenbone-security-assistant (>= 22.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: gvm-tools (>= 23.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

My ParrotOS version is Parrot Security 6.0 (lorikeet).

Hi @gen973

The GVM (OpenVAS) packages have been broken in Parrot for over 2 years. Greenbone made it very difficult to get GVM working on most Linux distros, preferring people bought their product, and providing “open source” code that had all sorts of issues compiling and setting up.

But, it’s finally possible to get GVM working on nearly any distro now via Docker containers. At the near bottom of the following page is a simple script you can run to get GVM installed, configured, and running. (setup-and-start-greenbone-community-edition.sh)

Good morning,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have only one question more. If Parrot has not been able to make gvm work, why does it include it in its distribution? It doesn’t make much sense to me

1 Like

IDK. I heard there was a debate among the Parrot Devs whether or not to continue including it on the Parrot 5.x ISO.

I occasionally install new Parrot releases on virtual machines to see if I can get GVM working yet.

It is the #1 pentesting tool I’m interested in as I periodically check systems on my home network for potential security issues.

I’ve had GVM working on Parrot;

1 Like

Thanks Fred.

GVM has had so many issues, especially after postgres or redis updates, I ended up spending hundreds of hours over the last 3 years troubleshooting. I read your post back when you posted it, but can’t remember if I got it working on Parrot temporarily using that method.

I’ll set up a new Parrot VM and try getting GVM working after all packages (postres, redis) are updated.

Memories… :wink:

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much. I will review this information to try to resolve it.

No problem. I installed the latest Parrot 6.0 (beta?), GVM isn’t available yet in the repositories.

I downloaded the Kali Linux “kali-linux-2023.4-hyperv-amd64” image last night and GVM setup easy without issues. So IMO if you really want GVM, right now it’s by using Docker on (Parrot) or switching to the latest Kali. I’m interested in Fred’s solution.

Thank you for the test. I understand that is discontinued for last version and next. I don’t understand the reason but we have no other options. If I need it I will install kali for it.