How to actually login as root?

Briefly describe your issue below:
I know logging in as root is disabled on Parrot OS by default, but I think sometimes it’s really convenient to log in as root and I find using sudo and su really annoying. Is there a way to configure such that it’s possible to log in as root?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot Security MATE ISO 4.9.1

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

If you want to be exposed to security risks, go ahead.
ParrotOS and its team is not responsible of what happens if you do everything under root.
Sudo and su exist right for this reason: do not give the user full access to the system and avoid to expose it to security risks and damages caused by the user.

Buy a gun, point it to the head and pull the trigger

Not that hard to use root account you can use su or else there is root terminal in build to pass command as a root user.

Still keen to login as root then just delete current user and then there you go ………

you can login as root user
Username : root
Password: that you set while installing linux

IDK why would someone use that but anyway…

• type sudo passwd root (this is for user password)
  • and then whatever DisplayManager are you using go to the .config file of it and enable manual login.
  • ie. lightdm…
    • sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and in [seat] section uncomment greeter-show-manual-login=true & if have enable root login then also uncomment it.

and now you have to logout and login to root.

1 Like

i’ve tried that but it doesn’t seem to work

if youd like to access file system as root you can sudo then drag the file into the terminal and that will open it as root, Otherwise sudo su will make you root in terminal and that is all you really need.

Thank you, my friend. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.