How to Install Steam on Parrot OS

Steam
Steam is a well-known gaming platform among GNU/Linux users, a huge alternative for those who want a different game catalog apart from the trusty repository gaming section.

However, Steam is anything but a privacy-caring program, let’s be clear first: Steam gathers data, a lot of it, it records place, device (with specs) and time you are online, same with the list of people you play with, so it has an idea on what your behavior and preferences are depending on your games or communities you follow.

Still want to play with Steam? Then do it as safe as you can, the only way I recommend is by neither installing nor running Steam as root. Let’s use Flatpak, it’ll make it safer.

:large_blue_circle: Install Flathub Repo

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

:large_blue_circle: Install Valve Sources from Flathub

flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam

:large_blue_circle: Run the Steam Installer

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

:large_orange_diamond: Launch Steam

Finally, you’ll see the Steam login screen and its icon will appear over the system’s launcher menu (under Games category).

Note: This guide is not to validate the idea of having programs such as Steam with no worries about the information that it gathers, exists because I’ve seen too many people over the Steam forum asking how to install it and receiving pretty vague responses with little concern about privacy.

Steam can be installed using apt

1. Add i386 architecture
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
  2. Install steam
    sudo apt install steam
    Older apt version requires steam:i386 as correct package name (as far as i remember).
1 Like