How to run Evolution in background?

Briefly describe your issue below:
I would like to run Evolution mail in background. In other words, I would like to still receive push notifications about new emails, without having to keep Evolution’s window open all the time. Is there a way to do this?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot 4.7, Security edition, amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes, with Win10
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

try this or this

no idea if it works … just googling! :wink:

I already spent quite some time googling this. All the plugins/packages I found are very outdated (like last version came out in 2012). A more recent package is probably the one mentioned in your second link (mail-notification-evolution). However, I cannot find it in the “standard” repositories available on parrot. How can I find that package?

EDIT: also this mail-notification-evolution seems to have not been updated since 2008… I really don’t understand this. Am I the only person out there who wants to receive mail notifications without having to keep the email client open? Although I’m no expert, it seems to me it wouldn’t be that hard to add this feature. Is there a reason why no one is interested in adding this feature (not at least since 2012)?

i am sorry for that but i don´t use evolution or something else. i use protonmail in browser (firefox) with desktop notifications! :wink:
but the isync thing exists but it´s only for syncing down a mailbox into a file if I’m not mistaken

$apt search isync
Sorting… Done
Full Text Search… Done
isync/rolling 1.3.0-2 amd64
IMAP and MailDir mailbox synchronizer

libpisock-dev/rolling 0.12.5-dfsg-2+b3 amd64
development files for communicating with a PalmOS PDA

libpisync1/rolling 0.12.5-dfsg-2+b3 amd64
synchronization library for PalmOS devices

unison/rolling 2.48.4-1+b1 amd64
file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows

unison-gtk/rolling 2.48.4-1+b1 amd64
file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows with GTK+ interface

I am using evolution here. It is good and support ews service. I tried methods on google and nothing worked for me (Maybe it works for Gnome?). So I guess there is no way to do it until Evolution dev team add this feature to there code.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.