How to use Parrot Os

(Milktheblackmomba) #1

Hey, I was just wondering since I’ll be fairly new to this community that how can you change your operating system from Windows to Parrot os. The reason I’m asking is that I have been thinking about using a Linux operating system that can expand my mind in the world of the ethical. I hate how windows traps you from this knowledge therefore I want to switch and have a new os but I don’t wanna duel-boot and still have a closed source and an open one.

(Matt) #2

When you are in the installer select “Guided - Use entire disk”, select your windows drive, and Parrot will install over it.

This will obviously destroy all data on the drive, so backup anything you want to keep first.

You can find more details in our docs (They aren’t all fully up to date but should give you a few pointers):
https://docs.parrotsec.org/doku.php
https://parrotsec.org/docs/

(Milktheblackmomba) #3

Thanks so I could just put all important files and stuff because like I can just download games and stuff back

(Matt) #4

Yes, if you install over the disk everything on it will be erased. So any files you want to keep put on a USB stick first, you can then copy them back to parrot.

Just as a side note, for “gaming” you could also install Parrot as a dual boot as an option, or of course install windows as a virtual machine.

(Milktheblackmomba) #6

wdym? elaborate what your trying to say.

What I am saying is if you do not want the dual boot option, but still want to be able to use some of the windows for gaming and other files as you indicated…you might want to consider setting up a Virtual Machine (in virtual machine manager) and install windows there. It will keep it windows isolated and you can run it when needed. Adjusting the settings in windows while loaded will minimize telemetry to MS, it does not seem to completely block it unless perhaps you check the port traffic and custom configure a firewall. – I was just throwing out an idea.

I have been running dual boot on my laptop for nearly 3-yrs but honestly I think I only boot into windows to run my tax software. Which reminds me, it may be time for me to see if I can get that running with Wine (I could use the disc space).

- Just my 2 cents worth

(Az Dhebar) #8

in my parrot sec os uefi mode when booting then it power off display 3 times and after working properly what it is.

I believe that secure boot must be disabled in the bios for most systems…I know that I had to, and have had zero problems after that.

Why not try Parrot as a Live system that’s bootable from a USB drive? After verifying the hash checksum of the parrot .iso image you download, use Balena’s Etcher OS flash utility to flash it to your USB drive (https://www.balena.io/etcher/). Bear in mind, flashing the parrot .iso image to your USB drive will erase everything else that was on that stick.

You may need to set your BIOS boot options to “legacy”, and be sure that boot options include USBs as first priority boot devices, so that the system doesn’t default to booting from the hard disk.

I highly recommend setting up encrypted partitions on a separate USB drive. Otherwise you’ll find yourself running out of system RAM when you try to update/upgrade the .iso image, and when downloading any custom package configurations.

The “persistence” partition will save all of your OS upgrades and custom package installations. A second partition will save all of your personal data files and work that you’ve done.

Also, if the USB that you flashed the parrot .iso image to gets corrupted, damaged or unusable, you can simply reflash the USB, or flash a new USB stick.

Alternatively, if your “persistence” settings get corrupted, which can happen, you can simply delete the “persistence” partition on the separate USB drive, and then set up a new “persistence” partition in its place. Sure, you have to re-upgrade the flashed .iso image and re-download your custom package selections, but because your personal data files are stored in a separate encrypted partition, they will be untouched; PROVIDED THAT YOU CORRECTLY IDENTIFY THE “PERSISTENCE” PARTITION WHEN DELETING IT AND REPLACING IT. See my comments in this thread -->> Live USB with Persistence

Be sure to allocate a very generous portion of your second USB drive for the “persistence” partition. You will need the space for all the upgrade downloads and installation, as well as for your custom package installations. Because I run two virtual machines in my Live, Encrypted-Persistence Parrot sessions, I have allocated 12 gigabytes for the “persistence” partition. If you run VMs, you’ll want the available USB space necessary for accommodating both the storage for your VM’s OS .iso images, and space for other Documents and Downloads that you frequently use. See my comments on the space requirements of using Virtual Box v. Virt-Manager here -->> virtual machines

I use the parrot, on a daily basis. To see my emails, watch movies, do school work. It was the best thing I ever installed on my computer.

(Amzker Pro Hacker) #12

Mm I Used Parrot As
Daily Basis
Theme And Wallpapers Are Cool
For Programming
Vulnerability Finding
Little bit hacking Pranks To My Friends
University Works like : Projects , PPT ,
Some My Daily Works
And I Created Bash Script That Make Me More Lazy
For My This All Works :grin::grin:
Parrot Themes I To Much Like , Dark Themes