initrmfas error 'out of space' /boot partition full but only one kernel

Hello

I seem to have this issue whenever I ran almost any command that has to do with packages.
Error output :

According to other posts it would seem by boot partition is full
Output for df -h and ls -l /boot

df -h
ls -l /boot

When I try the following commands the original issue is given again. Cannot install, update, clean anything regarding packages.

dpkg -l linux-{image,headers}-"[0-9]*" | awk '/^ii/{ print $2}' | grep -v -e `uname -r | cut -f1,2 -d"-"` | grep -e '[0-9]' | xargs sudo apt -y purge

and then

sudo apt autoremove

This is how my synaptic package manager when I search for “linux-image”

From what I can gather it seems I only have one kernel file and its too big for my boot partition.
Am I correct in assuming this?

I have a fresh installation of parrot OS but cannot install, update any packages without getting that error.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks!!

Hi @moonninja2

I have had that issue before. I had to boot off an external drive/USB with a live Linux, and resize my partitions (using GParted) to give the boot partition more space. I believe 500 MB is currently the suggested size of /boot.

Thank you so much for your reply! @Masmer

Will try to to resize my partition using GParted, not sure if one can though? Confirm if I am wrong

–Side question–
Trying to fix the full boot partition problem.
I formatted the partition my installation was on and then split the unallocated space into 2 partitions : a bigger (300gb) and slightly smaller one (450mb).

I re-installed parrotOS unto the bigger one (300gb) and set the mounting point / to it. I then also formatted and installed /boot unto the smaller one ( my thinking here was that I am fixing the boot partition size problem by mounting it to a bigger partition)

I somehow messed up my entire installation (re-installation?). Now when I try to go into parrotOS it goes into a broken grub (I think, based on a bit of googling) = something called BusyBox, which seemed to be a shell I can use. I get the following error when I type “exit” : “UUID=XXXXXXX does not exist dropping to a shell” where XXXXX is my UUID. I think I have completely broken my installation.

-----[Solved] ------

Using a live USB :
I re-installed parrot OS on the bigger partition (300gb) for OS mounting point being / and then on smaller partition (450-500mb) for new /boot p\mounting point.

I deleted the boot files from the original boot partition (that has my windows boot) + wrongly pointed grub partition. This completely broke my GRUB (no BusyBox shell just went straight to GRUB> shell).

I then copied over the new boot files from the smaller partition (450-500mb) to where it was on the original boot partition (the one with windows).

This solved my grub issue (UUID pointed to correct partition) + it solved the boot partition space issue which now pointed to my ‘smaller partition’ somehow not sure why and now acts as my new boot partition.

Many thanks to @Masmer for answering the main issue : boot partition being too small.
Kind regards!

1 Like