Install Grub

Hello again, after running through troubles setting up Usb persistence I am wondering if I can install Grub and run Parrot alongside with my Windows 10 installation on my Laptop’s SSD, change the partitions around would affect my Windows Setup?
If I remember Asus has some boot protection, that will come into conflict… I just don’t want to mess my current install as the laptop also need to run Windows normally…
Thanks in advance.

Yes you can.

Firstly, disable secure boot in your bios/uefi settings. To enter the menu press a special key when your laptop’s brand logo pop’s up (it is f2 for asus, but it can vary with different models).

After doing that and your LiveUSB/CD being prepared, do a regular install of Parrot.
If you want to have multiboot, you shouldn’t choose automatic partitioning, and you have to do it manually.

I suggest you having microsoft reserved partition, efi partition and your default windows partitions, they will be marked as sdaX, where X is a number or partition.

If you have no unallocated space, you have to make it by resizing your partition. So back it up somewhere, delete it, and make it smaller to allocate space for linux.

How much space to allocate? In my experience, system is using around 30-40GB with additional packages installed, but I would recommend to allocate 40 and more GB for root directory. If you want to install linux with one mount point /, rely on the fact that you will have a /home/<username> directory with your personal data, which also needs some space, so I would recommend to allocate 40 + space_for_home GB of memory.

But what I would really recommend, creating a whole different partition for /home, because if some data will be corrupted on system, your personal data will be ok, and also you can install multiple OS with one /home directory (may be dangerous but still).

So your partitioning looks for example like this: (this is mine)

sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   499M  0 part  (Microsoft reserved)
├─sda2   8:2    0    99M  0 part /boot/efi (EFI partition)
├─sda3   8:3    0    16M  0 part (Nevermind, I created this "bios" partition though it's not needed)
├─sda4   8:4    0 499.4G  0 part  (windows C:/)
├─sda5   8:5    0   250G  0 part  (windows D:/)
├─sda6   8:6    0  55.9G  0 part / (parrot root)
└─sda7   8:7    0 125.6G  0 part /home (parrot home)

Feel free to ask if you don’t understand anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.