Installation hangs on network iwlwifi

Setup:
With a Dell XPS 15 9570
-swapped in a new SSD (970 Pro) and wireless card (Intel 9260), there is no physical port
-clean install windows 10, everything seems to work fine, no issues

Problem:
When trying to install Parrot OS on same SSD as windows 10 for dual boot, the installation gets stuck at the network section. It presents a list of drivers for my network card, I pick “iwlwifi,” then it sort of flashes and presents the list of drivers again. I tried to choose “none of the above” from the bottom and proceed with the installation thinking I could revisit the driver issue after installation, but after the next section the same driver list is presented again.

This same problem happens from two different USB drives and regardless of GTK installer or not.

Any troubleshooting suggestions? I don’t even know where to look to find out what it’s not happy with.

Thank you for your time and advice!

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
4.4 64-bit

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard -or- Debian GTK

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
yes, attempted to

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

i dont think youre selecting the correct driver, what make is your chipset for wifi/ethernet?

Thanks for replying!

I think I had misunderstood which hardware it was looking for. I do have an Intel Wireless AC 9260 wireless card, but it seems like the network detection portion of the install was looking for a physical NIC, so when I selected NO CARD (top option in the list) and proceed with no network, it allowed me to complete the install.

However, I’m still running into problems after install with the first boot. After getting into the desktop, I can connect to my wireless network (it’s finding the standard intel driver just fine it seems), the first step notification is about updates.

• Choose Yes, let’s update > lots of packages need upgrades > starts downloading and chugging through > at 87% done (at an update step for mariadb server) it freezes, completely locks the whole system requiring a hard reset by holding power button for ten seconds

I figured maybe I’ll try another distro, so I checked Ubuntu-mate, arch, and CentOS - they all have a similar problem where shortly after install and first boot, system freezes and requires a hard reset. Also, from a live USB drive, none of them can shut down properly.

Windows is still booting/running fine, so I don’t think it’s hardware malfunction.

I’m scratching my head here, but probably ought to start a new thread about this since it’s not installation related.

Search for debian mariadb-server errors and it should help you get pointed in the correct direction

Choose Yes, let’s update > lots of packages need upgrades > starts doqnloading and chugging through > at 87% done (at an update step for mariadb server) it freezes, completely locks the whole system requiring a hard reset by holding power button for ten seconds

Yes this has happen to me on a system I run, it’s a lower end netbook. You might check to make sure the machine isn’t getting a little too hot or running a bit too long or both which I also find triggers this behavior. It’s annoying but not catastrophic…usually…hopefully…

and live cd/disk/usb have a tendency to be that way, swap to a p ctrl-alt-del from there, not unusual. I believe it’s a result of a bit of mismatch you could say between a distro and the hardware you’re running especially if it was manufactured solely for windows. Again not out of the ordinary, would be concerned unless the boot device ends up damaged from a less than graceful shutdown.

p.s. a wireless NIC is a physical NIC as well :wink: