Installing Brave

Good afternoon all.
First, a personal view, but stop using Firefox. Why?
I am no longer convinced about its commitment to privacy.
Chromiun, likewise,with all its Google promo.
Tried Degoogled Chromium without any success.
Decided to opt for Brave as had been using it on Android.

I installed it without a problem and it works extremely well using the following:

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

echo “deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

Now as a newbie, is there an issue with this kind of installation?
If not its fast easy and painless

Big up
bing

1 Like

Although you only added Brave’s browser repository, I feel need to mention: Be careful with repositories, never recommended, especially for rolling distros to add foreign Linux repositories. You did not mess with the all important file: parrot.lst (official update/upgrade list- leave Parrot only there).

Never used Brave (I may give it a try). I know it is a relatively recent to the browser market and based off of Chromium (but in public image it makes clear it is not fond of Google’s tracking).

Can you tell users why you doubt Firefox’s commitment to user privacy (given they were chosen for Tor browser/EFF)? Is this just a personal feeling or is there something fellow Firefox users should know?

Brave did well in this study on default browser settings (worth a read):

Every browser does leave its own unique fingerprint of sorts. Using multiple browsers for different activities can mitigate this. :wink:

btw welcome! :slight_smile:

I think my disquiet comes not from Firefox directly but Mozilla itself. There is much to read on the internet regarding privacy and security and I have followed many of these articles for example: https://pluspora.com/tags/mozilla.

I am aware that browsers do leave some trace. At the end of the day its all about personal choice and preference but if I may I will give a bief example.

When checking my personal profile at the Parrot Community I noticed that my machine showed up as a Microsoft Windows computer . When using Brave I am Gnu/Linux user?
So which is worse a firefox browser using a microsoft windows computer or a chrome browser using gnu/linux ??
To be honest i dont know the answer.

Dont get me wrong I, as of yet have not had any issues with Firefox and maybe this is just another talking point. As for Brave I appear to have quite alot of control over function and by staying away from additional extensions I guess I do not have to get entangled in the whole “which extensions are secure” debate.

So your suggestion of using multiple browsers as a matter of course and not adding extensions left right and centre is perhaps the most obvious answer.

I thank you for your reply and welcome any further debate on these matters.

bing

1 Like

I personally love brave, use it over firefox most of the time. Main reason is for google translator, I’ve tried many addons for firefox and can’t seem to find one thats similar to googles without using chrome. Having another browser without going through sandboxie win10 to sign-in to sites that your other browsers already in. Not to mention you earn BAT crypto, not much or worth switching for but its there. Wouldn’t recommend using built-in tor either, apparently you standout from regular tor users. Also downloaded ParrotSec via braves built-in torrent, worst experience ever. Other than that if its not interfering with parrot I’m going ahead with brave download ty =)

1 Like

I am not sure their Tor thing is really functional . Also I have found it almost impossible to set up i2p, so I fall back on Firefox. I havent even bothered with the crypto stuff or used it to download. I took the points raised by, birdlover, above and now for me Brave is a fast alternative and an opportunity to “mix and match” .
As they say “Variety is the spice of life”

bing