Installing from USBstick with persistance, onto HD

Hi, I need help my bootable Parrot Security which has persistence. I use this stick daily and it works great. So great that I wish to install it on a HD now.
The problem is that I wish to install it as-it-is. With that I mean I want to include the persistance part, and I don’t remember all the changes and installations I did to the stick.

Is there a way to include the persistance when you install Parrot to HD?

Parrot version
VERSION=“4.11”
VERSION_ID=“4.11”

Kernel version
5.10.0-8parrot1-amd64

Thanks!

You cannot install the customization done by you in the USB persistence.
You can only install the ISO and then copy the file to it.

Hi, thanks for the response,

Exactly how I transfer it it does not matter, it does not have to be in one go if that is not possible.

But I need to learn how to move the whole thing over somehow like you said, it might be copying a file a folder or setting flags. I am totally new to this so I do not know anything how the persisitence feature works except how to create one on the stick following instructions step by step.

Sincerly

more than persistance, you burnt the iso on the usb and then you install the same onto your hdd, but you are not installing the persistence os
so install the os as usual and then you can copy all your files from usb persistence to hdd

My insecurity comes from what files or folders should I copy and should they overwrite/merge with the existing ones when they already exist on the HD?

Or are there rules to obey when doing this? I know I have all kinds of things. This can be things like applications, and settings. Simple document files I know how to handle of course but not the one that is integrated with the system now.

I think I need to say that I’m not even sure if I should create an extra partition on the HD manually or if they files from the persistance space goes the default space created by the USB HD-install procedure.

One thing I might need to clear up, everything about the persisitance is on the persistance paritition right? Nothing is ever changed on the USB live iso space?

YUP live is always a new system, ‘Volatile’.

home files and some configs
though u will be left with some small amount of work to do again
It’s just like u move an user to another new user.

If you want an exact copy of the OS you have now, you should create some sort of snapshot of your current edition, make it as iso and make the persistent partition on your usb but it can be boring. If you manage to get only the configuration files (usually they are hidden folders on the home, you can easily see them from the terminal by typing ls -la) it is much better.

Common with vm, here it’s kinda like too long, but just like cloning the user would be a bit easier.

Yeah, that’s why.

Many thanks! Very greatful that you took the time to answer!

The only Linux distribution so far that I know that allows you to include whatever happens to be on the persisitence at the time of installation is Pop! OS. I can see how that becomes a useful feature when being in the situation I am in now.

Thanks for an amazing OS!

Live environment has a reason and the major importance of live is being volatile
so if you are installing from live then it’s obvious to not install your customization
though persistence is all not the best when considered on a long go. Just like live parrot, if you check out tails then it has nothing else than live, no persistence nothing. It’s the meaning of live.

Well, above your have 2 ways for your job to get done… So go for it:)

Do I understand it correctly that Live has absolutely no restrictions when it comes to modifiying the system through e.g. apt-get, Synaptic Package manager, all possible deep-system settings? Only restriction isthat the session will of course be over the second you turn the computer off. There’s no exception what can be done in live mode?

One big factor why I need to install is becuase the computer has only one USB and I need to use a USB device after having booted from the livestick. So far i have not found a way to take the stick out without freezing the system.

That itself is the major expectation one needs that it’s erased after a reboot

When you are on USB boot, you are running an os on that USB instead of hdd/ssd
what happens when you remove hdd/ssd from your system? Can you use it in the usual way?
Nope, hence if you want to use the USB for something else, then install the os to hdd/ssd, or finish your work in live and format your USB to nonbootable, or if you wanna store data while working on the USB boot, then create persistence.