Issue running KVM virtual machines

Hi all,

been using Parrot for the last 6-7 months without a single glitch, but today I allowed the upgrade of my system and KVM stopped working: virt-manager says “Host does not support any virtualization options” and suggests there might be a problem with libusb:

libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: Failed to start QEMU binary /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 for probing: /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: undefined symbol: libusb_set_option

What I investigated so far:
libusb-1.0-0 is on 2:1.0.23-2, which I think it’s the same version that came when I installed the O/S:

ii  libgusb2:amd64                           0.3.5-1                             amd64        GLib wrapper around libusb1
ii  libusb-0.1-4:amd64                       2:0.1.12-32                         amd64        userspace USB programming library
ii  libusb-1.0-0:amd64                       2:1.0.23-2                          amd64        userspace USB programming library
ii  libusb-1.0-0-dev:amd64                   2:1.0.23-2                          amd64        userspace USB programming library development files
ii  libusb-1.0-doc                           2:1.0.23-2                          all          documentation for userspace USB programming
ii  libusbmuxd6:amd64                        2.0.2-3                             amd64        USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices - library
ii  libusbredirhost1:amd64                   0.8.0-1+b1                          amd64        Implementing the usb-host (*) side of a usbredir connection (runtime)
ii  libusbredirparser1:amd64                 0.8.0-1+b1                          amd64        Parser for the usbredir protocol (runtime)

The library seems to be found at the expected path:

libusb-1.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.so.0 (0x00007f120f097000)

Also, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade says there is nothing to be upgradeable.

Am I missing something too obvious or have I broken something?

Please advise.

Many thanks!

1. Your Parrot information

• OS version: run cat /etc/*release
#cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=Parrot
DISTRIB_RELEASE=4.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=rolling
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Parrot 4.10"
PRETTY_NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux 4.10"
NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux"
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
VERSION="4.10"
VERSION_ID="4.10"
HOME_URL="https://www.parrotsec.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://community.parrotsec.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://community.parrotsec.org/"
  • Kernel version: run uname -a
#uname -a
Linux x230 5.9.0-2parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.9.6-2parrot1 (2020-11-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Or if you can’t do it, please tell us ISO version you downloaded.

** ISO information **

Version: 4.9.1
Desktop Environment: Mate
Edition: Home
  1. How did you install OS?
    • Debian installer

4. How did you get this error? Are there any steps to procedure it?

1. Ran the updates suggested right after system boot.

6. If you have any idea or suggestion about this issue please tell us

No idea, but I think it has something to do with the package upgrades.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.