Lenovo T420 - cannot install NVIDIA 4200M

Hi guys,

I am running Parrot OS on my old Lenovo T420 (i7-2620M, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 12GB RAM, ). Everyting works just fine but I’d like to be able to switch between my NVIDIA 4200M and IntelHD.

The problem is when I have installed nvidia driver like this: sudo apt install nvidia-driver, restart laptop and I cannot access nvidia-smi. It gives me this error: "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

And I am still running in circles. Could you give me some tips how to install the 4200M and be able to switch between integrated and dedicated GPU?

Thanks!!
"

VERSION_ID=“5.2”
VERSION=“5.2 (Electro Ara)”
VERSION_CODENAME=ara

• Kernel version (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type uname -r):

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

the latest drivers included in the Linux driver pack dosn’t usualy work well with the NVS 4200M
you could try [recommended by manufacturer]

1 Like

Thanks! Should I purge all the nvidia files from my previous attempts? Or somehow check that I am installing this driver for “prepared” machine? Don’t want to end up with some version conflicts etc.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.