Live Persistence Tweak Guide

Hello! I have recently installed parrot with live encrypted persistence and noticed some things that really did not sit well with me.

• sudo never asks for a password.
  • user gets auto logged in once persistence decryption key is entered.
  • trying to change the default user password gets reverted back to toor after a reboot.

Looked around and figured I would put all these in a single place so hopefully posting this here will help some chungerinos.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

This was done on amd64 4.6 KDE Security Parrot.

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

No install. Live USB persistence.

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

Other systems present but should not be an issue.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA BECAUSE OF THIS. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Nitty Gritty time. Let’s do this:

• Tweak one: Changing the default user password and forcing it to persist between reboots.
  1. first change your password as usual, for the “user” account:
    sudo passwd user
  2. next we check the new hash in /etc/shadow for the user account. We will need that for later. The hash you need is located on a line that looks something like this:

user:$6$PtWnsklR3S3LJjl5$kAVM92f99/.jgjKO/bWb1YZ24gFNpEoNJEM0fPpr2KgwhT8VIf3w58VGQxNFwZdkVcXinM0oI9yKiug1pZPlI0:42069:0:13337:7:::

In this example the password is FortifiedChungus. The hash you need to copy is $6$v92uhfeyhB$kAVM92f99/.jgjKO/bWb1YZ24gFNpEoNJEM0fPpr2KgwhT8VIf3w58VGQxNFwZdkVcXinM0oI9yKiug1pZPlI0 . So ONLY what is between the colons. Your hash will differ according to what password you chose.
3. Go to: /lib/live/config
4. Edit 0031-user-password as superuser. Make sure you copied the hash from /etc/shadow .
5. Replace the hash you see in single-quotes with your new hash, save and close.
Congrats. If you’ve done everything correctly, your new password will now persist between reboots.

• Tweak two: Force sudo to ask for a password. WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO HERE. IF YOU FUCK THIS UP, YOU CAN LEAVE YOURSELF WITHOUT SUPERUSER PRIVILEDGES AND THEN YOU MUST RESCUE YOUR SYSTEM.
  1. Change directory to /etc/sudoers.d .
  2. Look for a file called live in the current folder. Do not edit anything with your usual text editor. Do this instead: sudo visudo live .
  3. Replace the contents with this line, exactly:
    user ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
  4. Save and exit.

Congratulations, if all is well, sudo will now ask for your password from now on. If something went wrong, I hope you did not lose superuser priviledges and good luck rescuing your system.

• Tweak three: Prevent being automatically logged into your system after booting. (only applies to graphical and not virtual consoles.)
  1. Change directory to /etc/lightdm .
  2. Edit the file lightdm.conf as superuser.
  3. Uncomment greeter-show-manual-login=false and set it to true.
  4. Change autologin-user=user to autologin-user=
  5. autologin-user-timeout=0 should be uncommented.
  6. autologin-in-background=false should be uncommented.
  7. Save and exit.
    Congratulations. If all is well, you should now be asked for a password to log into your system every time after booting. Unfortunately this does NOT work for virtual console (tty1, tty2, etc), I have not been able to figure out a way to prevent those automatic logins.

That’s all I got for you. If anyone more skilled can please tell me if there are better ways to go about doing these or if doing all this is not advised, I would appreciate feedback.

If anyone knows how to disable automatic logins in tty1, tty2, etc, please reply to this thread and I will edit it in.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.