Lock down command for an IoT room/house

security
iot

(Nico Paul) #1

I want to create some sort of Lock Down command/init of some kind possibly with ifttt that would on a command or instance/event (like a button through an arduino/pi device et cetera)would trigger this set of event responses:

1. Smart lock to lock and relock infinity or for an unreasonable ammount of time preventing the door from opening without some extreme structural attack or just blown off, possibly add a (magnetic?) Lock controlled by a pi with high quality camera and deep learning facial recognition to add convenience and extra security (this would preferably not be in the script by default to limit weak points).

2. All lights in the room/house will turn on 100% to red

3 some sort of smart speaker like and echo or google home to verbally inform the immediate occupants that are being protected of the initiation of Lockdown and remind them to quickly carry out preplanned contingency plan (something vague that would not give any information broadcast or heard on the other side of the door etc but may help ones that tend to freeze from fear to remind them they had a plan and they need to do it ASAP)

Also wanting to integrate an array of pir and/or thermal sensors and cameras to be semi separate from the “root” events above. Able to trigger warnings if set off at all or quickly but not initiate lockdown command to prevent errors. This is a big project but I’ve got all kinds of arduinos and some raspberry pi 3’s and most of the equipment already and wish to bring this to life to develop an open source home automation/security IoT integrated alternative that could be used for locking down a zone and able to evolve to fit the needs of the average home security system while truly accessing the entire connected environment it has access to. Anybody have any thoughts on ideas/where to begin?

(Matt) #2

Crikey… Well i would separate input and output parts of the project first, interfacing with sensors being the input and changing lights as output ect.

Look at the devices you want to interface with (for input and output), make sure its possible to communicate/ control the device and then create a working example for each.

Then sow them all together at the end.

Interfacing with a wide range of devices is likely to be the hard/ time consuming part, so take one device at a time and leave space in you script/ program to accommodate for additions.

Basically worry about getting different devices working first before trying to create a security system.

(Nico Paul) #3

Haha yes it seems large but most of the devices are arduinos Save for the separted camera system which Will be pi. I know ifttt is one way to trigger items but can be slow, could i maybe set up an aws Local server or a small server of some kind instead? Basically I know how to get everything save for the mechanics of the lock (I dont want it to be weak or hideous but not sure if turn via arm or some adapter on an arm or possible other options

(Matt) #4

I havent used IFTTT so i dont know about that. But for a simple way to communicate between devices in a local network you could use netcat, might not be ideal end game but it is an easy start.

Something like…

Receiving:

while true 
 do 
   netcat -l -s 192.168.0.20 -p 1000 | while read data
     do
     echo $data
     if [ $data == 'alert' ]
		then
		redlight 'on'
		echo 'red'
     fi
   done
done

Sending:

netcat 192.168.0.20 1000

After putting that in a command line you can just enter text into the console to send to the host.

About locks and hardware, have a look on hackster.io/projects and websites like that they might have some ideas for you.

(Nico Paul) #5

Yeah I love hackster but I cant find nearly as much (other than small model wooden doors opening) on the hardware mechanical aspect versus the tech specs lol

(Nico Paul) #6

I think thats probably the reason youve never used it because i think its probably just the same calls but instead of going from device 1 to 2 or 3 it makes a few more hops accross whatever server configs youre calling commands to so i think you answered my questions perfectly haha IFTTT is one of the slowest in my experiences when i last used it, it took a good ten minutes fir the commands to turn the lights on and off at the doorbell ring… obviously not suitable for what im looking for here!