losing wifi on Realtek RTL8723DE

Briefly describe your issue below:
Hi, all. So I made the switch from Kali to Parrot and I am loving it, my only issue is the wifi. First I had to compile the driver for a Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter. This wasn’t a big issue I seem to have to do it with most kernel updates on Kali. I have a direct install on an average HP laptop which ran Kali great (apart from WiFi also). Anyway when I take the Ethernet out I have a connection but the speeds are dial up speeds, then I will lose it and have to reboot. Sometimes it activates the WiFi, sometimes I need to put the Ethernet cable in to get the WiFi working, any help would be appreciated.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Version: MATE 5.5.0-1parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
USB direct install

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
This is one of many a solution:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/04/nstall-rtl8723de-wifi-driver-ubuntu-19-04/

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Had the same WiFi card. if I recall, it had issue (disconnecting) from time to time.

Try bringing the interface down, then back up again (to see if this prevents your need for a reboot):

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down && sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

(replacing wlan0 with your rtl8723de device name)

Unfortunately it isn’t the best card for Linux.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

Just after your message I lost connection and tried the command to bring it back up, but no luck. I might have to get a wifi adapter as i am loving Parrot and would like to take my laptop with me on the move.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Try restarting network-manager altogether. Either way that wireless card did not support monitor mode leaving out some of the things you might want to try on Parrot OS

Hope this helps.

Hey guys,
I am have been using parrot is for sometime but I have to use Ethernet or external wireless adapter to be able to connect to the internet.
Yesterday I came across a GitHub page https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de that offered drivers for my pc wireless adapter(Rtl8723de) so the wifi started working but anytime I try running airmon-ng start wlan0 my whole laptop just freezes and I have to force shutdown
I have also tried other different ways of switching to monitor mode but once I switch to monitor mode the laptop crashes
What is the official way to get driver for rtl8723de

Try it with an older 5* Kernel. Other users found that helpful as it had problems on more recent Linux Kernels. See this thread: Help with Realtek wlan driver

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.