M.2 SSD with PCIe 3.0 x4 interface

(Mike Black) #1

I bought a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface to add another M.2 SSD I have a Asus Hero V111 mobo, with a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB as my main drive

I have plugged the adapter card into the 3rd PCIE slot - it does not show the new liteon ssd in the bios or after I boot into Parrot OS I have run apt update and apt upgrade but cannot see the SSD, I was using the liteon ssd prior to getting the EVO drive - anyone have any suggestions - additional drivers I could install?

or should I try a fresh install and see if it gets detected?

thanks

(bigtasty) #2

Hey @Mike_Black,

Can you provide us with a make/model of the adapter you installed?

Did you look in the BIOS to verify the PCIe 3.0 slot you plugged the adapter into is enabled? If it’s disabled, enable it, save BIOS configuration, reboot.

Also, what other PCIe slots are you using?

1 Like
(Mike Black) #3

Thanks for the reply its a generic card (China) PCI-Express PCI-E 3.0 X4 to M.2 NGFF M Key Slot Converter Adapter Card M2 Nvme PCIE SSD Riser Card for Desktop Support 2230 2242 2260 2280

I have an Nvidia 1050 Ti card in the first x16 slot - I have tried the new card in the second and third x16 slot - as far as I know, the PCI slots should be enabled already - I will reboot and double check - in the manual it says if I use the third slot and set it to X4 it will disable the PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_3 slots but I don’t use them anyway.

I will reboot and check the settings

thanks

(bigtasty) #4

If the BIOS settings aren’t the issue, can you provide/try the following.

1. Please provide BIOS version.

2. If possible, can you remove/unplug the 970 EVO and boot into BIOS with only the PCIe M.2 attached?

3. Do you happen to have another system you could try the new PCIe adapter to confirm that the adapter indeed works.

1 Like
(Mike Black) #5

So I tried the old M.2 drive in the M.2 slot and the bios does not recognise it so I am going to assume the drive is faulty… I will buy a new M.2 drive and test again

thanks for your help