Main OS

Briefly describe your issue below:
So I am new to the security space and i just recently got a XPS 13 9380 its on the way right now very excited so I want to know is it safe to run parrot security os as my main os ? This might sound stupid but what do i need to make it so that my chances on getting my laptop compromised is there like a anti-virus for parrot or something to protect my laptop thanks.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
didn’t get parrot yet but i am going to get parrot security mate version i believe
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
didn’t yet
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no I want to make it my main
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
no
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

didnt try

Yep its safe to install.

Parrot uses firejail, that will greatly improve security https://www.parrotsec.org/docs/info/firejail/. We also dont log you in as root ect… ect…

Of course you can install an antivirus if you like, although i have never used one.

Obviously if you visit dodgy sites and start downloading dodgy applications the chances of you getting a virus rises a fair bit.

thanks matt 2 quick questions is firejail already on by default or do i need to add it myself?

also is everything by default ran by root if so how do i turn it off and on and when do i need to turn on root for? is it for the tools?

Firejaill is on by default for applications it is configured for. But just to make sure you could run sudo firecfg that will create all the symbolic links for you.

Any applications you start will be ran as your user (not root) unless the application needs root permissions, at which point it will prompt you for your password. Some tools will need root yes, depends on what they do.

cool thanks so out of the box i just update and don’t need to do anything thanks for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.