Malicious Download of Mate Security Edition

– Please Write here your help request –
I installed Mate security edition yesterday and was playing with it all day until I realized the fan wasnt working n cpu temperatures were way hot. My computer is new but I figured something was just not compatible with the OS/fan and was going to try and figure it out today but now my computer won’t even start it says there’s no OS at all. I checked all the hashes they all matched n those haven’t changed since I copied them over a week ago.
I wasn’t able to download the pgp key from the link with wget either but I figured if the hash’s haven’t changed it is a good download.

I ran a diagnostic test n it says it cannot detect my fan at all.

Can anyone point me to a guide that will help me get the fan going again?
Also, if I install a new OS is my computer likely compromised regardless?

Really a bummer I was really hoping to learn to protect myself after learning to use this OS.

• ParrotOS iso in use:

• Application used for flashing the iso:

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

1 Like

Can you boot into Parrot (or any Linux) from a USB?

Also I know this is a month late, but this doesn’t look like an issue related to anything malicious :slight_smile:
A good rule of thumb when it comes to evaluating an incident and attributing the cause to a bad actor is ask yourself the question, “How much money does someone have to make off of this situation?” If the answer is ‘probably nothing’ like your situation (tried my hardest but couldn’t find a way remotely busting someones fan sensor will get me bitcoinz on the dark web… yet) then it probably is just a plain old bug.

Compromising someone’s system is enough work that that threat actors will usually only put in the effort if they can expect to get paid.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.